www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Im from california, and the other day i was looking at all the members on this site, being nosey. I couldnt figure out why there seems to be so many more disc golfers from michigan and other states where it would seem very hard to play year round than say cali, where its 80 degrees in dec. Why is this?

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thank you bruce, that answered my question
Yep. I play twelve months out of the year here in SW Minnesota...but less daylight in the Winter months, as well as -10 or -20 F in the dog-days of January and February, keep my holes/month down from November thru March, compared to the rest of the year. I always chuckle though when people from Southern States ask me when we put our baskets back in during the Spring, or how I can stand the several month lay-off from the sport! :-) If it's not lightning outside in the Summer or the middle of an ice storm or record cold temperatures in Jan/Feb, it's disc golf weather...
Actually I don't know about but glad to know about yours.
Thanks for information.
I agree with Bruce but part of the equation is the total number of golfers and golf courses in different areas of the map. The Midwest may not be hospitable for many players in the dead of winter but there are still lots of golfers here. For the past 30 years a major manufacturer from Michigan has been promoting the sport and helping to install courses.

Disc Golf is like a fertile, invasive weed in the otherwise manicured garden of ball golfing. Or maybe a fire ant invasion would be closer.
Winter golf is great for your game. All the extra layer(s) of clothes I wear while playing during the winter, plus the wind and cold conditions, makes the game seem a little bit easier once the warm weather gets here and the clothes restrictions are gone. Every time I played all winter long my game showed more improvement the following season.

As far as the original point, if more people from my area (SW Ohio, N Ky, SE IN,) knew about this site the numbers on the map would be close to, or equal, Michs numbers....for this site.
The current regional nature of the site is probably the best answer - but it also includes factors like population density and space. Plus, while ball golf is almost impossible during the winter in the Mid-west (With snow on the ground) disc golf happily continues. It is even a bit different, different challenges, etc. which keeps it interesting and provides another outdoor sport for Winter enthusiasts.
You mean the the rainy season isn't twelve months out of the year like I thought? I believe it rained every day I was there. Or, do you mean it rains all day every day during the rainy season?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968