www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Am I the only guy who hates playing in groups of 5 and six with slow ass people?  Also, I'm sick and tired of playing with people who smoke pot while they play.  If this happends again I'm quitting the group and playing somewhere else even its a tag match.  Today I was waiting for some friends to join me after doubles and a few people wanted to start a tag match.  Well when i said I was waiting for someone else, they started to make comments because I had a #14 of 75 tag.  Well i can care less, the tag is a souvenir for me more than anything but I didn't want the Club to start to cast me out so I played.  Well this was going so slow with 6 people and I hate that.  Then in the middle of the match an old lady pulls out pot and starts smoking which pisses me off to no end.  I didn't want to disrespect the old lady so i didn't say anything.  Well in the end I ended up with a 53 tag which i don't care.  To put it in perspective, I shot a -7 on the same course yesterday and today it was a Par.  Am I alone in this matter?

Tags: Big, Groups, Slow

Views: 56

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

damn...I need to play with you're peeps...
Wait, was this at Cottonwood? I've played it a few times and its relatively short with a very short distance between basket and tee. That would make a huge difference.
Definitely. Are you local? We do have some long hole positions but mostly everything is fairly short right now. The only long back nine hole right now is 15 which is in a position for 16.
No, I live in Santa Fe but I visit my sister in Parker quite often--so I make the trek to Cottonwood a few times a year--I really like the course. In fact, I might be there for a round next month.

Do you know if that private course in Black Forest is still open?
Do you love Sipapu? A favorite course. Black Forest is open. Just might want to stop at Cottonwood first to get info about playing there. Love that course too but signage there could be better. My disc golf name is Mad Dog so if you make it up to Cottonwood ask the guy selling discs if he has seen me and maybe we could throw a round.
I'm not takeing sides here just a realist. As far as the dope smoke, it is a product of the enviroment, if you like or not you can go onto any dgc in the sates and score a doobie it is unavoidable much like going into a large city and getting hit up for spare change both illeagel both annoying both not going anyware. As far as your score that is always on you! your the one that throws that disc and are the only one that can be blamed. slow play is terrible but unavoidable, esp when a in a large group (over four) with hangers on. It sound like you got a bit of disc golf experince and I find it hard to belive that this is the first time you have seen this type of activity, someone else said it and I couldn't agree more if you have a probolom with what something someone is doing be a man stand up for yourself and say something; don't vent about someones actions that you did absolutly nothing to stop or prevent!
Just FYI DK, The Players Cup is one of the unfortunate tournaments that due to this type of behavior by both the player and fans got banned from the course they played on. Hence no Players cup since 2008 I believe. So it is not just casuals. Heck I have been in an A-tier in Rockford illinois in 2009 and the guys on my card final round did it even after I objected. So it is not as easy as just saying hey I don't like that, I don't do it, or don't do it around me. People in the sport just readily accept it. Until we STOP accepting it will the sport gain on a larger media level.

For instance Snowboarding, You will never catch a professional like The flying tomato toking it up. He might swear up a storm but you will not see the pot in his mouth if he does it, it is in the privacy of his own home away from the media spotlight. Yea, we don't have cameras on the courses all the time, but despite what we think there is always someone watching somewhere. The old lady walking her dog, The random person on their bike, the cop pulling into the lot, the cub scout leader, the park ranger, or anyone that doesn't think it is appropriate. Hence all disc golfers get this label and just another reason we flounder in the ways of the mighty media.
whats the point of being a man and standing up for myself if, like you said, it's unavoidable, its a product of the environment. I posted my frustration on a forum because this WAS the first time I've seen this type of activity (guys bringing pet dogs, people in a tag match with no tags to offer, tag match with 6 people, no score cards, honor system with something to lose). It wasn't only a vent, I wanted to know if this type of thing is accepted in this sport of not. In other words, is this the only way I will be able to play people for tags or doubles or handicaps? If so, I will be prepaired next time. Sure I was the one throwing the disc, but in my own defense, there are rules in place in this game, they are there for a reason, and I expect them to be followed at least during competition. I play many sports, why should this one be any different. Like I said before, if you break the rules it's a rule violation, a nice way of saying you are a cheater. Foot faults, cheater, throwing out of turn, cheater, no recording of score, cheater, use of performance enhancing drug, cheater. I really don't care, again, who smokes pot or whatever, I'm not trying to be the police, just don't do it in my group during a competitive match. I don't yell while your putting so don't puff while I'm approaching.
If this is the only people I have to compete with around here (doubt it) then i will adjust and adapt. I posted here to get an idea of if this was the norm, or am I putting up with crap I shouldn't be. I'm not out there to make friends, rules govern the game as in any sport, I will make sure from now on that when i play in COMPETITION, people competing against me follow th rules too. What are they gonna say, "oh great, here comes the guy that follows the rules, i hate him." Oh well.
I totally agree with you on the cheater part, except in the pot during the round it is only against pdga rules during santcioned tourny not mentiond during general rules of play. For the bag tag thing if they do all the things you mentioned stroke them i know I would specially if my tag or money was on the line! No score card no challenge, I would never trust a stoner's memory.
Unfortunly, the sport being cheep, and in a mostly seculed area it attracts people that are inclined to act like jerks when there is no supervision. Littering, vandilisim, destruction of property, theft,rampet drug use, and public nudity are among the MANY laws I have seen broken almost every time I go to throw. The only way I have ever found to curb such behavior is to call people out. Next time say hey smokey nice foot foul lets see you make that putt again, I was clearly out that is a stoke, or my all time fav hey snappy you redeisning the course? that is most defintly a stroke.
Also, I responded the way I did because I am suprised that you have never seen this type of activity on the course before, real suprised.
2 things, first , thanks for the stroke lines, I will use them if it's ok with you! second, I'm certainly sorry, and a bit freaked out that you have seen public nudity enough to mension it! lol This was my first tag match. I play doubles sometimes, really new to comp. Started a year ago, but it was at a 9 hole park that noone plays at with the exception of people just starting that don't know the others exist. Only been competing for about 6 months max. I hear ya on the thing about how because you in the woods people think it's ok to do whatever. That sucks, especially the same people that b**ch about how the park tees suck or baskets are junky. I'm very very very excited to hear that you refuse to play without proper scorekeeping and that you will warn and stroke people for rules. What response do you get when you do this?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968