www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So I'm on XBox Live playing my favorite game and chatting with the other players when I mention that I'm a professional Disc Golfer. They thought that was the FUNNIEST THING EVER and swore that there is in no way "pro frisbee golf". So I spent the next 15 minutes of the match explaining it to them and STILL they swear that I am lying and there isn't such a thing as "Pro" Disc Golf.

When will the whole world know about our sport? How much of the public already knows? 5%? 10%?

Views: 44

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really don't know how many people know about it, but it got big here in Ok when the newspaper printed an article on Joe Rotan and Disc Golf....but who knows how many people actually know....
I would say of 50+ age the only people that know about it are those that either play or have kids/grandkids who play.

However more in the age range of 15-35 I find many, many people know about it maybe 50% or more and they write it off as a hippie sport, oh that game, and have little desire to try it out until a friend with a bag of discs comes along and says dude lets stop playing video games and get out of the house. Lets go frolf...
the term 'professional disc golfer' is a term that will never have the same connotation as a 'professional baseball player' or 'professional football player'--the public's conception of professional athletes is that they make lots of money and that is their livelihood--which is not the case for the vast majority of professional disc golfers--most have 'day jobs' to support their habit...winning a $1000 purse once a month is not going to pay the bills if you have a family...

a real easy way to explain it would be to simply say...'I play disc golf for money'...the true definition of professional vs. amateur...and leave it at that...
They DID say " Take off your tye-dye shirts and your flip flops and get a real job". I kept laughing because I do have a day job. You are right by saying that Professional is known to be at least a 6-figure term.
Good question. Took my Mach Lite out the other day to a park in a nice neighborhood where I live. Took it to an open field with trails to go around it for hikers and joggers. And as we were playing and people would walk up 7 out of 8 people actually knew what we were doing...I WAS BLOWN AWAY. Honestly I was cause at the course on the weekends cars park all over it and cover it. No one knows what it is and that is why. I think with the E.D.G.E. program you will start to see great recognition of the game. As kids play it more growing up then it will just be ingraved into them. (which is awesome).The biggest thing would be if ever city had an ACTIVE club and made their communities aware of the "sport." The best places to play with the most parks and the most awareness are communities that have done their part in getting people involved and hosting lots of events. The world will know about our sport when there is a reason to. Honestly right now this is all grass roots and without big sponsors and money being thrown around...well the world only cares so much. And for the public....it's getting better. We all have to do our part with dragging friends and family out of the house and away from the TV to go and do something that is FUN and good exercise.
When ESPN covers Disc Golf on a regular basis and we are not thrilled when a small story comes on ESPN.
Since all you really need is a PDGA card to play with the pros in this sport I believe that when a company sponsors you to play is when you can truly call yourself pro. Don't get me wrong... I am not saying your not at a pro level, but it is a shady line between pro and wannabe. Not to mention your on a video game chat with others that are inside playing games, so if its not on TV they are clueless.
Funning thing is I was watching Wheel of Fortune with my kid one day (must have been bored) and this chick says that she and her husband travel the Midwest and play Disc Golf. You expect the usual "I'm a homemaker, mother of three and have a wonderful husband". Instead you get that. Awesome.
I just let people know that I am a Professional Athlete...that's all.
If they do not get it, I rip a couple of 400 foot drives for them...then they get it.

If I'm not mistaken, that girl is on this site and she started a thread about it.
thats awesome
I hope she won big:)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968