www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Hello, Does anyone know a safe & easy way to remove sharpie from CE type plastic? It seems that even though slick to the touch this type of plastic must be quite porous, therefore absorbing more of the ink. So far I've tried Acetone, Isopropyl alcohol (not the kind you drink), carburetor cleaner, Goof Off, laquer thinner, paint thinner, & Bix Stripper. None of these remove all of the ink. If anyone knows of a product that works I would be MOST appreciative. Thank you, Dendog ;>}

Tags: HELP!!!

Views: 571

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Let us know what works best !!!
Dendog,

I would be surprised if this at the very least didn't significantly lighten the sharpie ink.....DeWitts Contractor's strength Remove-it natural citrus cleaner. this stuff has removed shapie on my discs....sometimes took a little effort.
The best way... um... not going to happen. Just throw the disc in the pond, get another just like it, and pretend you got the ink off and lost $15.
I've noticed that some discs seem to "soak in the ink", once this happens there's probably no getting it out.
Go back to old trusty citric acid. Lemon juice strips adhesive and removes ink off of mst plastic, but candy plastic will need several applications and a scratch free scouring pad.
what about pointed sticks???
Sorry, not going to happen. It seems to bleed into the plastic. I've used steel wool with goof off and got most of it off, but you will still see the sharpie. But thats the best combo/results i've had.
to remove the writing get another sharpie and block block the name ...... just blank it out with more sharpie
i also say that if it has been there for a while, its forever
the discs are pourous, so they absorb the ink. It will never come completely off and if it does, you have removed plastic. You can lighten it but it is in the disc. DO that and then cover it with more sharpie, sorry, but thats the truth.
Yeah, if it's only been on there for a short period of time, acetone will take it off but if it's been on there for long enough it will actually dye the plastic so there will be no getting it off. My old discs have phone numbers that no longer exist so I have tried everything. Excessive applications of stripping products could be detrimental to the disc because they will just break down the plastic (petroleum product) and eventually could cause dry-rotting.

Tino "SilverBack" Medina said:
the discs are pourous, so they absorb the ink. It will never come completely off and if it does, you have removed plastic. You can lighten it but it is in the disc. DO that and then cover it with more sharpie, sorry, but thats the truth.
yeah its a lost cause. been through this a lot and there is no solution without damaging the plastic. my advice is keep the same phone # forever. :-)

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968