www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I just found out that I'm scary enough to sop a charging Pit Bull in it's tracks, make it turn tail and run. I was out for a solo round at North Water Tower Park here in Sarasota after none of the usual suspects I bump into up there were present. I had just made my drive and was bending down to out my mini down and grab my driver when I heard something that sounded like someone was running at me. This is the same hole where I've been propositioned my prostitutes, so I figured some "Thug for life" ghetto type dude was coming at me for some reason. I look up and there's a LARGE Pit Bull (every bit of 60, perhaps 80 lbs) About 25 to 30 feet out from me in full charge. It wasn't barking or growling, It wasn't trying to scare me, it was trying to get me. Luckily for me I carry my collapsible fiberglass fishing pole for retrieving discs out of trees. I snatched it up off the ground, and held it at the ready to smack the gliving shit ouf of teh dog's face when it got close enough. at the same time I growled like a Psychotic neanderthal, and shook the fishing pole menacingly. The dog stopped in it's tracks about 10 feet from me, and started barking, I growled louder and swung the pole around a bit. The dog then turned around, and started trotting away. He looked over his shoulder like he might try and come back, so I started running after him Loudly growling , yealling, snarling, and yes even barking. I kept this up for about five minutes as he paced back and forth about 50 yards off barking. I briefly considered going on to hole 6 and playing on through, and pictured myself being mauled and feeling like a dumb ass for not quitting while I was ahead. I warmed all of the other players I saw, and got a cop out there for a report. The Sky Pilots have their Sunday doubles there today. I don't really know any of those guys, but I hope they don't have any trouble with the dog. My wife benefits from all of this because I decided to come home & invite her to go to get a little late breakfast instead of going to another park.

Views: 51

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Glad to hear it.
I have a pit bull and she is the friendliest dog we have ever had. We got her from the local humane shelter over 7 years ago and my daughters named her Dakota. Later we found out that Dakota is an Indian word meaning friend which fits her to a T (no pun intended). She doesn't know any strangers and the only way she would hurt anybody is if she jumped on them and licked them to death. More than likely the dog you are describing has been mistreated and people should not let their dogs run loose neither should they be chained up. If you don't have an adequate yard for them then don't get one. I am glad that you didn't get hurt, that would suck having to abort your round because someone lets their dog run loose.
I have met many GREAT pit bulls. My wife and I really like the breed. The neighborhood I'm talking about, as some Local Florida Discers here know here, is somewhat sketchy. At hole 5 where this happened, there are often prostitutes, and other sketchy activity (read drug dealers). I usually prefer to go somewhere early morning, to mid day, rather than approaching dusk. This Pit Bull was an early riser lol. It had no collar or tags, and I'm pretty sure it was a dogfight or protection dog. The level of aggression makes me think that there was plenty of mistreatment/"training" that got the dog to that point.
I'm no dog expert or any thing but I read water meters for the city I live in and encounter a lot of dogs. Most dogs if u act like your going to hit them with something they will back down with there ear and tails between there legs, like they know what's going to happen if they don't behave. If u stand your ground like you did most dogs will stay at a distance and just bark at you but don't turn your back on them. Your lucky it wasn't a blue healer or a very pretected dog like that cuz they don't give up as easy. I'm am also a pitbull lover and had a few. they are the sweetest dogs ever just got a bad wrap. On the other had we only have one yard we don't go into cuz the mase we use has no effect on this pit and it likes he know where coming cuz the dogs down the street barking lol hell jump the six foot chain link fence with his tire chained to the end of it and sit at the gate entrance lol, we have to call the homeowner when where in the area so he can takes him inside lol
That is why I always play with my partners Smith & Wesson 38. caliber. I never want to be in a position like that, relying on a stick to defend my life. On the pitbull pet issue I love almost every pitbull I have encounterd, but almost every pittbull attack story I have ever heard is predicated on "he has never done this before, he is usually really nice".

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968