www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

With the discussion that's gone awry on the "putting rule" thread, I thought we'd look at the topic as originally intended. Innova was proposing a new rule for tournaments that all throws landing inside 5 feet from the pipe would be considered "in" on the next shot without throwing it... except at the USDGC. Several of the posters were thinking Innova was proposing that everyone would have to putt from outside 5 feet if they landed inside 5 feet. Not the case. How many posters here have played in the USDGC to even worry about special USDGC rules?

We all allow gimmes during rec play, even at distances farther than 5 feet, maybe even 6-7 feet away. What are the merits of speeding up the game and formally allowing gimmes in the rules? BTW, they are indirectly allowed in match play in ball golf when opponents concede shots, Not exactly the same as stroke play but at least they do recognize the idea that some shots are gimmes even in competition

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it's a good idea but also think the groupe should all concide the lay before you pick it up and move on.
Similar to OB lines that are only marked for tournament play, the proposed gimmes would only be allowed if the lines were actually marked. If the designer hasn't marked the 5 ft radius circles, no gimmes in competition.
If I was a TD and this was a rule I would not allow gimmes in the final round(s) or after a cut if there was a cut during my hypothetical tournament. Doing it during the early rounds could help speed up play but the 5ft ring would have to be on every hole. But that's more work for the people running the tournament and they already have enough to do.

With that said, I don't think this should be a rule.
No gimmes and no jump putting. Stepping through after letting go of the disc is a different thing than jump putting. If the plant foot or feet moves forward before the disc is released a one stroke penalty is accesed. Symplify the existing rules, there are already too many words.
i"m new to the sport, however i;ve never believed in "gimmes" in any real compitetion. one never knows what freak accident could happen in a close contest. to me it would cheapen the out come over all.
So it's OK to allow the more frequent cut-thrus and bounce backs but not less common accidental misses on shots that are gimmes? Is it the fact that one type is due to luck and the other due to lack of attention?
I do not think this would be a good rule change. Personally, I hate those darn 5 footers more than a good old fashioned 20 footer! Who hasn't missed one of those darn things/"gimme"s? I once took 3rd place in a tourney because the guy I was tied with up until the final putt of the final hole doinked his 3-4' foot putt! Unless you are physically under the basket, I see no reason to give somebody a "gimme". What about wind, or shrubbery in the way? Just gonna ignore that kinda stuff as non-challenging?

I feel like I'm being somewhat of a curmudgeon harping about this, but why make things so much easier for us (see 2 meter rule)? Where's the challenge?

Equipment malfunctions can and should be corrected. I have experimented with baskets for years and the model I built catches very fairly. I haven't seen any go thrus yet. It also functions more like the trees we started on.
Im sorry tell innova to keep making discs and stay out of the rules Does Calaway propose new rules. WOW DIDNT DAVE DUNAPACE COMPETE IN THE USDGC A TOURNY HIS COMPANY PROPOSED A RULE CHANGE FOR. CMON GUYS PLEASE USE YOUR NOODLE
Harold has been a long time member of the Rules Committee as was Dunipace before him.
WELL TIME TO GET SOME NEW PEOPLE THAT DONT HAVE A CONFLICT OF INTERESTS Are these guys appointed lol, or do the golfers that support this sport vote for rules commitee personel
Have an example how a conflict of interest is a problem here? Any rules favor Innova discs, baskets or players?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968