www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

With the discussion that's gone awry on the "putting rule" thread, I thought we'd look at the topic as originally intended. Innova was proposing a new rule for tournaments that all throws landing inside 5 feet from the pipe would be considered "in" on the next shot without throwing it... except at the USDGC. Several of the posters were thinking Innova was proposing that everyone would have to putt from outside 5 feet if they landed inside 5 feet. Not the case. How many posters here have played in the USDGC to even worry about special USDGC rules?

We all allow gimmes during rec play, even at distances farther than 5 feet, maybe even 6-7 feet away. What are the merits of speeding up the game and formally allowing gimmes in the rules? BTW, they are indirectly allowed in match play in ball golf when opponents concede shots, Not exactly the same as stroke play but at least they do recognize the idea that some shots are gimmes even in competition

Views: 34

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can think of a tournament specific rule change announced this year for a major tournament run by someone closely associated with Innova that benefits Innova sponsored pros far more than it benefits Discraft sponsored pros.
So Roc's were allowed but Buzzz's were banned?
When I want to play darts I get out a dart board. I like disc golf symplified. I think most of the things being proposed are because of property that doesn't lend itself to disc golf or poor course design. Why doesn't the pdga put more energy into course and equipment improvement.
Larry,
When I try reading all the comments regarding this topic...I start getting a headache. I like your statement.."I like disc golf symplified". I'm all for that. Thank you for your response.
K.
all input is good regardless IMO. I gotta give Chuck props for being bulletproof both here and on the PDGA boards though. he is not the be all,end all of the PDGA but he speaks his mind and always seems to think before he posts on most subjects. and that is rare in this day and age of internet debates/arguments.

any discussion is better than no discussion. as long as we all agree in the end that we all love disc golf and want whats best for the sport. what exactly this ideal is and how exactly to go about it is still in the air. but at least we are talking about it.
I'm OK with this possible new rule . It would really help the speed of play.
I'm torn myself, I'm on the fence about it based on my own thoughts and what others have said. Either way, I don't care and would play either way if it was stated by the TD or whomever.
Here's a crazy idea. Leave it the way it is. Make your putt, no BS gimmes. It's not like someone inside 5 ft is taking all day to clean it up. And I have seen 5ft putts missed. Are you trying to take all the drama out of the match? Imagine the pressures in a final group with a few grand in prize money on the line or a U.S. Open/world championship. Anything can happen and should be allowed to happen.

Due to the fact that people pay to play in these tournaments (unlike rec play) and in the case of USDGC and World's may have invested thousands of dollars in travel expenses. Every single shot should have to be made and come to rest in the basket/chains to the letter of PDGA rules.

Chuck, I respect what you say but find that you are way out of line in asking "How many posters here have played in the USDGC to even worry about special USDGC rules?" That came off as arrogant. Do you think for a moment that the USDGC and the players that participate in that event carry the sport of disc golf? Not even close. This game is so much bigger than that and everyone on DGRUS is a passionate player and has every right to express their concerns about the shape this game takes. It's theirs, a gift to them from kids playing Tin Lid golf in the 1920's, George Sappenfeld and Ed Headrick (RIP)
Matt, this thread isn't about the USDGC rules but about the idea of the gimme rule for all events EXCEPT the USDGC. So, it's open to everyone's response since everyone would be affected if this change was ever truly considered. The other thread was about the USDGC where all putts would have to be made. So asking who had played in the USDGC was relevant to that other thread.
I discussed this topic on the course yesterday with the group I was playing with. To a man, they all thought it was a BS idea. Alll agreed that yes it would speed things up, but that is not the point of the game. Where's the challenge? If you wish to speed up the round (and this is a BS reason to change the rules IMO), then play better and make your putts!!!

To follow up on my last post on this discussion, virtually every one of us missed a stupid five footer at one time or another while playing our round yesterday. We actually began mocking the proposed rule - by stating "five footer, that's a gimme" everytime somebody missed a short put!
If this rule were to become an option..it likely would be at the discretion of the TD...and the Circle would have to be clearly marked....and ultimately at the discretion of the player...if the player wants to 'hole out' inside the gimme circle...that's his option....most would 'hole out'...it is the idea to finish the hole by having your disc come to rest supported by the entrapment device...(But not on top..lmao)

As far as impacting the speed of play, I doubt it would have any real impact. Allowing players to 'hole out' instead of waiting for the player who may be out...but is not ready to address his throw...that has definitely impacted the flow of play...That was good addendum to the rules.
The two are not connected. You cannot fix your complaint about basket performance by gutting the very heart out of disc golf.

Putting the disc in the basket is not only the point of the game, it is also the reward.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968