www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

With the discussion that's gone awry on the "putting rule" thread, I thought we'd look at the topic as originally intended. Innova was proposing a new rule for tournaments that all throws landing inside 5 feet from the pipe would be considered "in" on the next shot without throwing it... except at the USDGC. Several of the posters were thinking Innova was proposing that everyone would have to putt from outside 5 feet if they landed inside 5 feet. Not the case. How many posters here have played in the USDGC to even worry about special USDGC rules?

We all allow gimmes during rec play, even at distances farther than 5 feet, maybe even 6-7 feet away. What are the merits of speeding up the game and formally allowing gimmes in the rules? BTW, they are indirectly allowed in match play in ball golf when opponents concede shots, Not exactly the same as stroke play but at least they do recognize the idea that some shots are gimmes even in competition

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If the goal f this is to speed up play there is a farily simple solution. You can still mark the 1.5 M circle and if you miss your 20 ft putt and it lands within that circle...rather then a gimmie, mandate that the player must finish the hole before others putt. Same as in Ball Golf, if your only a couple of inches out, rather then wait for eveyone else you politely walk up finish the hole and move on. This acomplishes the same thing with out people fretting about the gimmie idea. And any one who thinks that 1.5 M is still a putt...take your practize basket and mark it from the pole...im 5 8' and can reach it.with out putting.
Are the Rules going to be re-written any time soon , or does the membership have to vote first ?
They are being revised all next year with the update planned to be effective January 1, 2011
Agreed! This is a better solution...if speed of play is truly the issue here...
Chuck,
Without me going out in the rain...what is the distance from the outside edge of the pipe to the outside edge of the basket? It seems to me that one could still do a drop in if the disc landed 5' (or closer) from the pipe. So I guess a gimme rule would be just fine. But I gotta wonder... are disc golf tournaments THAT slowly played where we need that "gimme" rule?
During casual play... we unwittingly already use the gimme rule, because we already know the skill level of the players in the group. We also over extend ourselves and putt in the others disc (within the proposed 5' circle) just to "Keep Moving" as we only have an hour.
So...I guess during a tournament...my goal is to try and get my disc into the containment devise in as few strokes as possible. So when my disc gets to the containment devise (inside 5')...I would certainly enjoy putting it in. Not merely taking a gimme for my efforts.
Thanks,
K.
It's a little over a foot out to the basket rim. With back bending forward and arm reach, most will be able to drop a disc in from within 5'.
Chuck this is probally the first thing we have agreed on. WOW I thought that this would never happen. I definately think there should be a gimme circle even for those windy days. I know when I get spit out at 30ft the last thing I want to do is wait on every one else to putt out to slam dunk my missed putt. I can understand tapping out in ballgolf where the target is much smaller. However in discgolf 5ft is basically like throwing a basketball through the back of a semi from 15ft. From a spectators point of view that has to be boring, In fact the final 9's that i've played the spectators are all walking away with 3 discs on the ground, left to be holed out.. So I agree make a 5ft gimme circle to speed up play so viewers can see some good shots.
Just to be clear, I'm not sure I support this gimme idea or not. I just wanted to create this thread for people to discuss it. The fact that most players allow gimmes even during non-PDGA sanctioned play like leagues indicates that holing out by the basket isn't one of the rules that players believe should always be followed. I think when you watch people play any sport and they always follow certain rules even in non-sanctioned competition, those rules are really the core rules of play for the sport. If they don't always follow certain rules (not counting those separate from playing like "no drinking"), maybe those rules should be looked at for modification.
Have to agree with Russell with the overuse already in the gimme advantage.Play,putt the lay
.Stay home if you're that worried about the speed of the game in rec or tourney play.There are no "gimme" rules in many sports,why start now just to "speed" up play.You miss your shot in bowling by just "breezing" by the pin and it stands,no point/score.This would encompass league/rec play.Any practice/play with any sport,you fail to score ,you've failed.You then GIMME the object of play to the opposing team so that they can try to score.Competiton is the test of one's skill-work,play,life-stay on the porch and you'll see how "speed" passes you by.My 2 cents.
I've seen at least 5 people miss from 6ft in tourneys
There is a huge difference between choosing which rules to play vs. modifying the rules. Depending on how casual the situation, players may want to ignore any bad throws, not play from the sticker bushes, or even not keep score (a choice that one local league makes). I don't think anyone would conclude that keeping score is not "core" so the rules should be changed to allow people to not keep score.

If people want to play "something like disc golf", that's fine. But, that is no reason to change the actual game of disc golf. People are already capable of agreeing to play not-quite-disc golf and allow gimmes (and drinking, and fund-raising mulligans, etc.), so why any need to change the rules?
I'm talking about non-sanctioned competitive rounds where some rules are not followed, not practice or casual rounds. Those rules are the ones that should be reconsidered. Another example besides gimmes is the foot fault rule which isn't even enforced consistently during sanctioned play.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968