www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

With the discussion that's gone awry on the "putting rule" thread, I thought we'd look at the topic as originally intended. Innova was proposing a new rule for tournaments that all throws landing inside 5 feet from the pipe would be considered "in" on the next shot without throwing it... except at the USDGC. Several of the posters were thinking Innova was proposing that everyone would have to putt from outside 5 feet if they landed inside 5 feet. Not the case. How many posters here have played in the USDGC to even worry about special USDGC rules?

We all allow gimmes during rec play, even at distances farther than 5 feet, maybe even 6-7 feet away. What are the merits of speeding up the game and formally allowing gimmes in the rules? BTW, they are indirectly allowed in match play in ball golf when opponents concede shots, Not exactly the same as stroke play but at least they do recognize the idea that some shots are gimmes even in competition

Views: 36

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What a horrible idea. First off, you're playing the best sport in the world, what's the hurry? I don't need to rush. And it has been said many many times already, people DO miss these shots. Although rare, it DOES happen. It's as interesting to me as making a very long putt. Leave the gimmes for non-competition as they should be. This is kinda like missing an extra point in the NFL. You think, why kick it, and every once in while, they do block or shank it and it can change the outcome of a game. And I'm always for change, but this has an impact on the game I can't agree with. If its just for speeding up the game, find something else to nudge.
I'm understanding your thought process Chuck,just my 2 cents.There's been to much "gimmee's" in this world as it is.There really is no free lunch.The work place atmosphere is a prime example of "give me a break,I'm new,you're not my boss.. etc rules are out the window anymore.
If I'm reading Mr. Kennedy properly...the measurement is 5' from the outside edge of the pipe. If you like... just drop the disc in.
Later,
K.
A prime example of another rule bypass is how we mark our lies during league/casual play...flipping the disc on the ground or not marking it at all. Not really a rule that affects the outcome of the game...whether you flip or use a mini...IMO.

However...there are players that can and do miss 5 footers....for the most part...rare...but it does happen.
Ed,
If the gimmie rule is instated...I certainly hope there would be an option for the player to take the gimmie or go for the chains. One never knows what might come up where the gimmie would be a god-send. So possibly there will be two circles around the basket. The 10 meter (jump putt) circle and 5' circle.
K.
IF this were to become an option, I would guess it would likely appear as an addendum to this section of the rule book.....and it would have to be clearly marked on the ground......and ultimately at the disc cretion of the player.

804.01 Special Conditions

A. Rules governing special conditions that may exist on the course shall be clearly defined and disseminated to all players prior to the start of the tournament. All special conditions shall be covered in the players' meeting. Each player is responsible for adhering to all points covered in the player's meeting.

B. The drop zone may be utilized in special conditions. The director must announce prior to the tournament how it is to be used and if a penalty throw is to be assessed. If no penalty is announced prior to the tournament, none will be assessed for use of the drop zone in special conditions.

C. The two meter rule may be utilized in special conditions. The director must announce prior to the tournament how it is to be used and if a penalty throw is to be assessed. If no penalty is announced prior to the tournament, none will be assessed when a disc comes to rest two meters or higher above the playing surface. The director may declare the two meter rule to be in effect for the entire course, or just for individual objects.

D. No rules may be stipulated which conflict with the PDGA Rules of Play, unless approved by the Tour Manager of the PDGA.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968