www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been playing as a casual players for some years, but this year I
joined a club and learned technique and had to start all over again.
This has really improved my game, and I go rounds and practice at least
three times a week. Now Im curious what you girls trow? I almost always throw backhand. This is what I trow at the moment:

Drivers:
Sidewinder Champion 150cl - my favorite driver, goes straight and far (about 265 feet)
Boss R-Pro 150cl - when I want to end up left
Katana Pro 150cl - my beautiful japan open disc, goes in a S and really far, hard to trow in wind (about 265 feet)
Dragon DX 150cl - floats on water, good on dangerous water holes.
Valkyrie Star 150cl - wont go that far but ends up straight

Fairway:
Teebird(+) Champion 150cl - japan open edition - goes short and left

Midrange/approach:
Mako Star 169cl - always really straight, I can always trust my Mako
Kite Star 164cl - easier to flip right/left than my mako

Putter:
Aviar X - 169cl - really nice grip, good putter
Aviar DX - 165cl - for practice
Hydra DX - 172cl - floats on water, good for dangerous putts near water

I also own:
Beast DX 150cl - too bad its not in any other plastic than dx in this weight, used to love it but i dont trust it right now...
Nuke ESP 165cl - a bit too heavy, but perhaps good in downhill wind
Roadrunner Champion 164cl - good roller, hope to use it in heavy wind
Leopard DX 147cl - my first driver, not sure what throws to use it for at the moment but great disc.

What do you trow? Disc type? Weight? Plastic?

Tags: disc, discs, do, favorite, girls, throw, what, women

Views: 41

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes I know I am not a girl. But I wanted to ask which if any of the videos online you have used to improve your throwing technique? My girlfriend wants to come play but gets mad that she can't throw like me. I want to help her and get her as a addicted as me
I've been so lucky that in Norway we have weekly tournaments in our club where I can go rounds with the best players, so I've learned a lot from them waching me play and giving me advice. The best advice in the beginning is: think that you pull an engine. think that you shall throw straight over a bar desk. remember that most of the throw is from your hips and not your arm. I think the new video from Discraft is really good. "Pro Clinic: Throwing Basics". You can find it at www.discraft.com - disc golf - videos. Finally they have taken time to really talk about basic throwing tecnique!
Her biggest issue I believe is mental. She also uses her chest as an excuse. I have seen women on the tour with her same endowment and they have no issues. I gave her the same example of starting a lawn mower but she thought I was just being critical of her. Thats why I was looking for videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAVPbs
The slow motion makes it easy to see pull, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5uHMoYJ6Q
Discraft vid

Sorry if you know these already, but they seemed to help my game out a bit.
Two parts to this.

Part one:
My girlfriend does have heavy discs but she is strong and puts the orc about 280-290 with her forehand and is getting better every week (just started playing August '09). I wouldn't be surprised if she was throwing 330 before the end of the summer. Her Spider is lighter and she is using that to learn BH.

Part 2:
I'd like to take a moment and maybe discuss throwing technique for women. Do you believe that it is different than for men?

I believe it is because of how our bodies are built and because of how I've heard Valerie Jenkins and Des Reading describe driving and approach shots at clinics. They would describe a throw that was more in the range of their ab/hip region where a lot of men are describing from their chest and shoulders sometimes looking like they're throwing lower because they are angling their shoulders for a touch of hyzer.

I was teaching my girlfriend my throw when she wanted to start learning BH and she did okay but there always seemed to be a loss of something. Then we went to the clinic with Jay and Des Reading at The Throw Shop and she started trying to throw from her hip region and all of a sudden her snap was better and she gained about 60 feet on a throw that was no stronger than before. She doesn't actually know how to throw a Frisbee (literally) and we've been tossing one to help her learn to BH a little better.
trying to throw from the hip has helped me a lot. I used to take the x-step before driving, now I throw standing still, learning to use my hips and whole body, not just my arm. when im mastering that i will try to add the x-step again.
perhaps she should try throwing forehand? a lot of beginners can gain distance with this tecnique. then all chest-issues are out of the picture. but you are right, its probably just an exuse, you dont have to throw the disk THAT close to the chest :) use a sports bra! also I have to say one of the beauties of this game is that now matter how your physics are, you can identify with great players out their. big and small, high and low, boys and girls, strong og weak, they all find tecniques that suits them! so no exuses, just hours and hours with throwing a disc over and over again, and getting better one step at a time.
totally agree!!! :)
Star and Champion Leopards work well.
but what is a typicall throw the leopard works well for?
A lot, many people suggest leopards as one of your first drivers because they teach you good technique as a whole but also teach hyzers, anhyzers, hyzer flips, sweeps and such. Anyway my girlfriend does drive FH (and bombs it), but she never says anything about chest issues.

And I second your comment "just hours and hours with throwing a disc over and over again, and getting better one step at a time." Good show.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968