www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Yesterday, I got my disc wedged under some roots at the base of a tree about 25 ft straight down the side of a cliff.  The creek was flowing pretty fast, water was cold, and the wind was kicking around 30mph.  After 20+ failed attempts at retrieving the disc, I thought of it,.................  Bear Grylls, what would he do??!! 

Evaluate your surroundings, use what  you have and let nature provide the rest.   Guess the Marine in me was turning some gears, thinkin I was 21 all over again.  I found a sturdy tree on the edge of the cliff, ran my Golden retriever around it and looped it back through the yellow metal retriever, leaving me about 30ft of rope.  I was by myself, so I wondered if it didn't hold, I might fall, break a leg, perhaps tumble into the creek and be swept away,....  but Bear doesn't think that way. 

I used every inch of it to Rappel down a super muddy Cliffside.  So, if you ever wondered the true tinsel strength of a golden retriever line, i'm not sure what it is, but a 210lb man rappelled down and back up, putting most of my weight on it.  That was fun!!  I sat there for a second,  to catch a breather before making the trek back to my car,... should I eat this insect crawling on my foot? 

So, ever used something in your bag to do something it wasn't intended for???!!

J.D. Guy

a.k.a. "Bear Grylls of Disc Golf"

Views: 26

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Most 3/8's polypropylene rope is rated around 225...250lb safe working load. Your were fine as long as you didn't fall. ; )

But Hey.... ya's gotz todo what's ya's gotz to do.
tape measure get discs to haha i used discs to kneel under a tree for a shot thats about it
That's a clever idea ! A good 50ft tape measure could reach out about 15ft before bending right ? That's enough to get to most discs. It would pack easy too !
How did you get back up? Also, you're nuts! :-)
thats awesome J.D.. or should I say.. Mcgruber!!!!
I've tried to drive with my putter and putt with my drive ;)
J.D. what course were you at. I bet I have had to scale the same cliff. Thats why I carry climbing rope in my car. But on the topic of carrying things for their not intended use. One of the guys I throw with brings his paintball gun to get discs out of the trees
Towne Lake, and the next day i went back and jumped in the creek because another disc fell victim, never recovered my Flx Buzzz, and i think someone scooped my Surge and ran with it. Water was still pretty cold, and chest high.
i like the ideas of the measuring tape and paintball gun. need to try those.

yea, no gloves, so i did a twice around the hand. once would have been too painful. I laid back like i was sitting and reached up, rotating my left, then my right arm and wrapping the line around my hands until i reached the top, took a while. funny thing, the night after i posted this, i dreamt i was back there at the top looking down eating insects.....
Sling shot works well too and it's easier to lug around in the bag.
.....with the folding handle.....marbles are perfect for ammo.
I am a fan of the slingshot, added one for this season. Current stats: 1 disc shot down (30 ft up a spruce), 7 marbles into the deep snow (I may need a little more practice).

Kudos to J.D. on the retriever climb. Nice solution for getting the disc back.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968