www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

what's a good midrange if the roc and buzz don't feel right in your hand? any advice would be appreciated.

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

For more finese and / or tight straight ahead shots I go with my 165g Champion Classic ROC. For longer, more power mid range shots I generally go with my 180g Pro KC ROC. Big hyzer middies I toss my 191g DX Jaguar. For anhyzer and or longer straight shots I toss my 180g Star Ontario ROC (purchased from LSDiscs! thanks again). Upshots and headwind shots I go with my 172g Champion Rhyno.
2 Gateway's Elements and one Element X have replaced 3 out of the four Rocs that I once carried. I highly recommend giving them a try. They feel nice in the hand and they fly wonderfully.
chances are if you dont like the buzzz you wont like the wasp. I would suggest either a DX Shark, or a Champion Spider or Champion Coyote
-DF
i dont throw the roc either . i used to throw the buzz.
i now carry the panther in champ, the wasp in z, the cobra in champ, the first run champ gator, and of course a plethera of putter molds witch i use quite often as a mid range approach or short drives.
my midranges i use for dead nuts control and with the selection i carry i can face just about any approach.
the wasp and cobra are larger diameter than the others.therfore they are for more open approach shots and the smaller mids i use in tighter applications.
For 200'-250' I am loving my 175 Star Skeeter (Understable/Tailwind), 175 Star Cro (Stable), and 175 Star Gator (Overstable/Headwind). Smaller diameter than the Roc, great for smaller hands. Hope this helps
For some reason a larger diameter disc (Roc/Buzzz) has never felt all that comfortable in my hand when throwing backhand. Being forehand dominate, this is not that big a deal and a Buzzz feels perfect and natural on a forehand grip. I probably average a backhand midrange shot once every 4 or 5 rounds.

The spot in my bag for an overstable mid-range is not firmly set. A Z Wasp is my preference for most forehands. The Zone is my preference for backhands (small diameter) and for crazy winds the FLX Drone is amazing. The Zone reminds me a lot of a Rhyno, though maybe just a bit more overstable. I would love to try a Zone in Z plastic (pure candy).

If I had a caddy with a strong back I would carry all three. Usually I pick one depending on the course and conditions and that one has been the Wasp for the past month or so.

The Zone and Drone are so much more overstable than a Buzzz or a Wasp that it takes regular practice to control them. It is hard to convince myself to bend a disc as hard as I have to bend a Zone/Drone. It feels like I am throwing a roller: I have to anhyzer them so hard. I practice a lot with the Buzzz and quite a bit with the Wasp but less than I should with the Zone/Drone.
Panther
maybe your a cobra or stingray kinda guy, or maybe try a meteor
I use the Star Gator. I had a problem of determining on how much power to put on it. I did some research, and found that the Gator was designed for those that dont know how to power down on upshots. Works really well for me.
the buzz is my mid the roc for me i love but i start with a special edition super roc and they stop making it and we all know the feel of the disc is what you need to trust. the buzz is my disc
i'm so glad to see so many speaking up for the champ panther. it is an awsome disc. i thought i was the only one throwing one. it works great on tight courses and flies forever in the open. i throw sidearm and rhbh depending on the situation. the dx kite is another great disc. it took awhile to get used to how much glide it has, but once that was done, it is a very comfortable disc. holds an anhyzer especially well.
I like the Wasp, Drone, Coyote, Spider, or a Comet.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968