www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

For some odd reason beyond me, my roommate Wade seems to think an ace is a bad shot. I am just wondering if anyone else thinks this. IMO An ace is a good shot no matter what, Intentional or Unintentional and the goal of Disc golf is to get the disc in the basket in as few throws as possible.

Wades Opinion:
IMO An ace is a bad shot because no matter how many times you throw a shot, Even if you are throwing for an ace 1000 times, and you hit it once, IT IS A BAD SHOT! Why would you throw a shot 1000 times when after 500 you know its not going to go in? I can say Ive played a couple courses 500 times and I have learned to throw the deuce. That's all I'm saying.

Back to my thoughts now. Okay lets roll with this throw for an ace 1000 times and hit it once. Okay I hit it once (although chances are I will hit it much more than once.) How many of those 999 misses did I deuce? So how does that change from going for the lay up or for the Ace? If your trying to lay it up and ace is that a poor shot? An ace run is a chance for a 1 but leaving yourself with a good chance for a 2. Period. If you try to lay it up as best as possible that would be right next to the basket your still aiming at the basket trying to get an easy two, If you try and ace and land right next to the basket (or ace which as we all know is better than a deuce) both shots had the same Idea: Get as close to the basked as possible. Same idea in both shots, So Whats the difference? What makes one bad and the other good? If you try to lay up 1000 times and lay it up once does that make laying up a bad idea? This is really just an argument between me and wade that I want some other opinions on. Its all in fun though. :)

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thats what I've been trying to get across
Or if you swing it out with a hyzer and come sideways at the basket. Thats what I try to do if I have the room and they rarely land more than 20' away, usually closer.
I try to ace every hole, all the time. But in a manner where if I miss its a park job. I always try for the basket in my case a lay up is not what I was trying to do. But my Ace runs would look like im trying to lay it up.
My friend threw and ace at the Ponds last weekend across the Pond from the short tee on and overhand shot. It was a cheater throw but it was still a good shot. LOL
Exactly what I was thinking when I wrote that. A nice loping hyzer run at the basket can either park or ace, a lot of time it's a matter of a couple feet. And even if you overshoot, it's rarely by much.

Also with a midrange you can often make that hyzer run, barely miss, and the disc just sits down when it hits dirt.
Also, playing a non-sanctioned round and worrying about score is kinda counterproductive. If you have a run at the basket, you should consider your options. But the truth is the best way to get better is to go for it, on every shot. Maybe if you force yourself to be running harder birdie shots because you are going for ace runs, your putting will improve.

I try to keep myself worrying more about improving my game in general than my current score.
Anyone can hit a great shot and brag but the challenge is to shank a tee shot and still make your buddies laugh. This hilarious books is an absolute must for any golfer. Actually I also a golfer and have great info about junior golf sets like junior golf equipment including junior golf bags.
Thanks for the nice information.
spam spam spam spam spam !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wrong sport you idiot!!!!!!!! terry spam spam spam!!!!!!!! get rid of him spam spam.
Do you consider tomahawks and thumbers as cheater throws?
1 < 2. Therefore, ace > nice upshot followed by dropped shot into basket.

The point of the game is to get the disc in the basket in as few shots as possible. If your friend is worried about coming back to the basket after the ace run, he should practice his putting.
It is ridiculous to say that an Ace is a bad shot. No matter if it is accidental or well planned, it counts as one stroke. You can certainly argue about the shot planning being bad or not. In my opinion, if a course designer did his/her job, it’s a lucky shot. I think he should be yelling more about how lucky the shot was rather than saying it’s bad. That’s how I would help cope with it HAHA
Playing to win, which is what I've done the last two B-tiers I've played, is NOT throwing ace runs. I have ZERO tournament aces and 36 casual round aces. That's not even counting object hole aces I have, which would be about 5 or 6. Ace runs are a lot of fun and it is very hard to bring myself to throw a shot that will be right under the basket. Although easily done it is a throw that I can get comfortable with and eventually have the hole and my line pretty well mastered and one day I can be confident enough to make an ace run. That is SMART disc golf. Believe me its not snoozeville taking home 1st place with NO aces.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968