www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Went to play a round alone this morning and work on my drivers a bit. Had been putting at the practice basket for a few talking to some people. Next thing I know, my buddy and I are playing a round of doubles with a group that had a local Pro. Nicest group in the world. Gave me all sorts of tips and pointers. The icing on the cake though was the 40 min private lesson the Pro gave me after the round. It was a great day.

I have seen a few folks here post that a Great way to get better is to play with people that are Better than you are. I'll tell you what, I believe it. I gained So Much knowledge today. It was Awesome.

Views: 169

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That is the way things are suppose to be.

Playing Disc Golf is more then a sport.

Just remember, there'll be people that you run into that are not as good as you.

Pass along the Karma that was given unto you. 

Good to hear, Jeff!  I wish there were some pros in my area, but I'd settle for finding someone to play with at all!  The DG scene in my particular town is extremely weak... 

Anyway, any pointers to share?

One of the things that you will find over time is that the space between your ears is where a lot of improvements will happen with your game. Play with those better players and learn what they teach, but also remember that it isn't always about the mechanics of disc golf. It is often about being able to recognize things like what the wind is doing and how you need to adjust. Recently my game has improved quite a bit simply bcause I am stopping to think before I throw and choosing the right disc based on things like wind speed and direction. When I stop to think I usually make a better decision which results in a better shot. The mechanics of my shot still need to be good. But if I try to throw a Sidewinder into a 40 mph headwind it probably won't work out well (believe me I tried it once).

So play with those better players. Learn what they have to offer. But most of all think. And remember that what works for one person may not work for someone else. You need to find your groove so to speak. Pretty cool that someone took their time to help you out. And it is cool that you took the time to listen. Remember that the best way to get rid of a bad habit is to never start it in the first place. If you get good advice early on it will put you in a good place.

Damn Jim...that's pretty good!! ....I'm all welled up now.

I have been fortunate to play a few rounds with Phil Arthur and play behind Climo, Feldberg and a few others down here at Flyboy Aviation. You learn a ton and it makes you think in ways you do not typically think. I once saw Arthur throw an anny bomb of at least 300 feet up and over a GA pine tree.

Play doubles or whatever with people better then you and PAY ATTENTION, and ask why they do things instead of other things.

Went out again this morning and lo and Behold, there was Jon again at the practice basket. So, I got in another round with him today. :) Got to hear a bunch of stories about playing with the touring pro's. I am pee my pants Happy. 

Dave, the pointers he gave me all had to do with my form and generating snap basically. Getting my front leg and body synced up more on my pull through and really accelerating at the hit and not before it. And a bunch of tips on putting. 

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968