www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Has anyone ever had trouble with grip lock? What is the cause and what did you do to correct it?

Views: 124

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Never
It's all about.....letting go. You gotta let it go. HA!

what is it? and sounds like you are holding on to it too tightly possibly, there's a discraft video about distance where they talk about grip, not too tight, but just enough so that it won't come out of your hand, it's gotta feel relaxed.

Don't open up your body as you release the disc.  keep your front foot, the foot you step then throw with, closed.  Don't point your toe to the target, keep it perpendipular, then pivot upon release.  If you are creating a lot of momentum or if you just have a lot of power, you gotta keep it all in tight befor you let go. The snap needs to happen right in front of you, not out in front of you. 

I have also had problems throwing tacky plastic (DX type stuff), as I am used to throwing the slicker plastic (champion, or star)

A fan grip will help if you are grip locking while throwing mid range discs and putters.  It helped me, and gave me way more control. 

Went through it hard core for about 2 mos. My 1st suggestion is as soon as it crosses your mind in the T box  step out of the box and clear your mind cause it's more mental than anything. The other thing that worked for me was just driving with my Tee Bird and getting a feel for that throw and incorporating it to the big dog drivers. All in all it truly is mind over matter , see it and be it.
Disc held too tight? Grip lock!
Disc held too loose, early release!
Is Grip lock good? To an extent, yes! I say hold on tight. But only at the hit. If you're lined up correctly, you'll get more distance out of the throw than Ms. Loosey-Lucy fingers.
For a grip-locker, I turn the player so they have their back to the target. Now they can grip lock all they want. But when the disc finally releases from their death-grip, it will be on a better correct line. It's all about trajectory. Average out the angle of release, turn the player accordingly. Works every time. The look on their face is priceless!
I had an issue with it a few months ago.  I found out that my pinkie kept hooking under the rim.  My solution was to change to a three finger grip.  I have big hands so i didn't lose any grip it just helped me from throwing to the far right. been throwing with a 3 finger grip ever since

nice answer dude

Yeah its all good now after a day of field practice and going back to the basics. I think I was jsut trying to crush it off the box and that would make me grip the disc a lil' too tight at the end making the disc stay on my hand for a second too long. I threw 100+ drives today and only "grip locked" maybe five. For me its all about being smooth, slow and relaxed.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968