www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Good Morning All,

I've been away for a while, been busy with a lot of life. Anyhow, I'm getting married this Friday and we'll be in Gulf Shores, AL for the honeymoon. My question is, what courses should I play while I'm down there/in the area?

We are taking a day trip to Destin so I can hit anything on the way or in the Destin area. Looking for any recommendations of good courses to mark off my list. For the most part, we'll be staying in zip code 36542.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Regards,

Jeff

Views: 223

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Check the PDGA course directory for Florida courses.Fort Walton Bch,Ferry Park is around that area.Also check with the Emerald coast DG club;ecdgc.org. Sunset DGC at GulfBreeze,Fl 32561.Blue Angels Park Palmetto & Oaks DGC,but you must be a member or sponsored.The ecdg club might be able to help you out with more info.University of West Florida,another dgc but you'll need to contact first to play.Just some ideas/info.
Enjoy the Honeymoon.
Thanks, ED, I have a physical course directory as well as an internet connection to check pdga.com. I was looking more for an insiders point of view, such as, "you want to make sure to play ________ while you are down here." Since my fiance is a huge Blue Angel fan I think I'll probably join their club to play the course, I don't mind helping clubs along the way anyway.
Thanks for the input, anymore home grown advice?
Thanks,
Jeff
You won't regret playing blue angel. 45 holes of golf at one location. Worth every penny it costs to play. Make sure you bring a camera because the course designers worked very hard to give this course a "personality." I aced the hanging basket on the palmettos side of the course last august, and as far as I know it has yet to be aced before or since. Gulf breeze is ok, but blue angel is a must see in my opinion. Comgratulations by the way.
Make sure to call ahead for Blue Angel. They will let you play no prob if you give them a heads up. The course is typically only for the people on base and in the Disc golf club. We have a member or 2 in our group. Bought membership to club cause he heads over to Pensacola 3to4 times a yr. So just call or get up with a local to meet you there.
Ok, so I'm back from my honeymoon and I was lucky enough to get to play 6 courses I've never played.
1) Palmetto Blue Angels (FL)
2) The Oaks (FL)
3) Fairhope (AL)
4) Springhill Hobbit DGC (AL)
5) Gulf Breeze (FL)
6) Veteran's Park (MS)

- There were a lot of holes at Palmetto & the Oaks to be sure, but I would have preferred 36 decent holes to the 45 they have there. I think I only used a driver once or twice in the 45 holes. Very easy courses, but I would probably not visit again.
- Fairhope I enjoyed very much, it was open and well designed. There was some park construction going on that diverted us around hole 14 so we had to make up the last few holes - I would definately go back to this one
- Hobbit DGC: Nice little corse, the back 9 is much much nicer than the front, but I did spend a decent amount of time wondering around looking for holes sine they don't have very good tee signs. It definately felt good to throw a couple drives after playing Palmetto! I think this course has a lot of potential and I'd try it again next time I'm down there.
- Gulf Breeze: Was a beautiful little course. Coming from StL I thought it looked like teh type of course that you would run into some interesting wildlife. I would visit this one again, it is pretty short, but fun and challenging.
- Veteran's Park in Tupelo, MS was the crown jewel of the trip. 27 holes! 18 somewhat short, but challenging holes through the woods and another 9 that uses the beautiful lakes the park offers. We just so happened to be driving through Tupelo when we wanted a break from driving so my wife suggested we find a course to play and this one was right off the highway we were on.

All in all I had fun at all the courses - and got to mark 6 more off my "played" list. We usually played during the day (since we were on vacation) but we didn't really run into many people. I was asked if I wasnted to play through, but never asked to join a group. I did loose one of my putters at Gulf Breeze and the guy that found it was nice enough to call me and agree to mail it to me. I thought that was very cool.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968