www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

hey whats the ruling... your drive lands IN a tree, everyone tees off and on your way to your disc, it falls out, wind blows it roller-style out of the tree and under the basket, where is your lie, and what rules are used to determine it?? disc is in bounds, under 2 meters, been there for over 2 minutes, THEN it rolls due to the wind knocking it out, and now your drive is under the basket as a result. its messing me up someone help please

Tags: 2, disc, effect, golf, in, meter, not, pdga, rule, ruling, More…tree

Views: 0

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree with Ed, play it where it lies unless it was above 2 meters and determined to be so without question by an official saying it has come to rest before you it falls and rolls.
The 2m call cannot be made until the player is under the disc. Otherwise, the disc in a tree is live until the player gets to it regardless where the wind blows it, including under the basket or OB.
The disc is played where is comes to rest with no penalty.

The specific rule is 803.08 C
Rule 803.08 C is not the specific rule since the disc started below 2m and we're not sure the 2m rule was in effect. The rules for this poster's situation are a combination of 803.08A and 803.07B.

Here's an interesting scenario similar to the posted situation. On a really windy day, the player on the tee throws his drive and it lands in a tree. While the others are driving, the disc falls to the ground. As the group walks down the fairway, the wind picks up the disc and it rolls OB. Where does the player play it from? 803.08A and 803.07B provide the answer.
I believe the ruling would be to run and pick up your disc before it blows away, put it in your bag, get in your car, and drive home. If a disc is at rest and picked off the ground and blown away, you should probably be in your basement! ;-)
Chuck, you should start a weekly "You Make the Call" thread where you post a scenario and have people try to figure out how to rule it. It'd be fun, and educational!
I like that idea...c'mon Chuck, make it happen!
Fair weather friend Ay?
The disc was at rest when it was on the playing surface...on the ground.

No OB penalty...the group decides as best they can where the spot was before the disc was carried away by the wind.
NO 2meter rule, so when the disc is in the tree, it is on the playing surface and the rule of verticality comes into play and the disc is to be marked on the ground under its location when it was in the tree before it blew away, thats how i would call it. its interference (803.07B) , thats how i would call it
Playing surfaces are places on the course where someone could reasonably be expected to walk or stand or is identified by the TD such as the tops of sturdy picnic tables. Locations in trees don't qualify as one except maybe in Swiss Family Robinson ;-)

Brandon has the best answer if you live in Kansas...
Jamie has it right based on the rules quoted.
so the disc would be marked under the tree...?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968