www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So, my friends and I went out to Kensington for the first time ever on Sunday. I must say that the course was really nice and so were the people. We ended up joining a father & son duo who made for great company. While we were playing there was a league going on so it was pretty packed. My complaint/observation is about the league that was there.

It seems that the people who take the game serious tend to do worse than those who just relax. We were waiting for the group to tee off and standing back and giving them room while talking quitely amoungst ourselves. I thought we were talking far lower than normal level and one of the guys in group above us "shhhhh'd" us. We couldn't help it but to laugh, but we still honored his request. After the group ahead of us took 5 minutes of phantom shots they finally tee'd off and no a good drive out of the bunch. Now I know that doing 1-2 phantom shots doesn't hurt but to sit around and repeat it several times and then ask for silence just seems a bit too much.

Am I wrong here? I know to be respectful to people, just as I would like them to be to me but in my view it is all public space and so you must expect at least some level of noise (which was a completely reasonable level). Also, how many phantom shots are too many?

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Tim,
How awsome R U at this game ? You wont even post your player rating, and you are talking about the suckiest players? Or R U even a PDGA member? Some retarded phantom throws might help your game. Oh and If you have been playing since the 90s you should know that your snap band idea is a rip-off.
Brian I would say that you should be quiet if they ask you or if you don't know them. Sorry some people need the quiet to find their comfort zone and others it helps them to visualize the shot without constantly looking back at you and considering how much they want to throw the disc at you instead.

I am the kind of person that generally I can deal with any verbal distraction, (But then again I also play casual rounds while pushing my son in the stroller) he often cries during the round or starts saying da da da. If you can deal with a screaming kid you can deal with just about anything else. Anyway if I were to ask for some silence I would hope that my request would be honored. In the same regard if you asked me to move out of your line of sight or any other thing that may be distracting I probably would out of respect. If you cannot respect the people on the course or can't respect the course go somewhere else.

As for Phantom throws I would say anything over 3 is a little excessive. Talk loudly during a tournament you may get stroked, then again people might not care. Either way I would bet someone out there is complaining about your choices too.
When we have league night our "leader" encourages everyone to remember that it is a public park and we do not own it even though we are playing a tournament. Everyone has a right to be there and leaguers have no extra rights. Quiteness is a courtesy and not being quite on a shot is a courtesy violation in pdga play.
Asking kindly for silence is one thing, "shhh'ing" library voices 15 feet away is another in my opinion. If the player that did the "shh" would have asked first he would have got a completely different response from my group. I understand that some people cannot handle noise but to just "shh" on the first offense without asking nicely is a bit on the DB side.

I am glad to see that a majority of people at least agree with my phantom throw issue.
I can't say I'd appreciate being Shushed, but I can respect that some people expect quiet when they're throwing. It's one of the first rules I learned about the game. I think it's only fair; the golden rule: do unto others....

One thing I know I hate at the course is a big ol jerk. I'd have to agree with Discette, that reaction/criticism was uncalled for; good luck selling those Snap Bands.

As for phantom throws, I can't criticize; when I start throwing a bunch of "shank-o" shots, I find it helps correct my form if I practice a couple times.
I must also add that I'm not really sure what a "phantom shot" is exactly, but I like to line up my shot and move my arm back and forth a few times to visualize the flight pattern I am trying to achieve.
if that's what some call a phantom shot and for some reason don't like it then that's just ... umm... interesting.

cant we all just get along?
group hug!!!
Yup. that is what I mean by phantom shots Eric. I am not saying that there is anything wrong with doing it a couple (2-3) times per shot but if you are lining up a minute or 2 per shot and you have a group of 4 it adds on TONS of time per hole and is just a bit execisive. At least I think it is a bit too much.
So now that I have thought about this while playing a round today with some friends we discussed this topic. What we came up with is that the casual player wants to do whatever they do without anyone saying anything to them: playing in a group of 10+ people, smoking, drinking, breaking bottles on trees (baskets), screaming profanities...you get the point.

Compeating in a league is doing something that a casual may not be into, so because it is causing them an inconvenience at that moment they look at this organized play as taking the game of disc golf too seriously. As a Casual they expect everyone to let them enjoy themself and their round how they want. However, when a league or tournament player wants some quiet or some etiquette followed they are taking disc golf too seriously.

I for one am tired of random casuals smashing their bottles, leaving their trash, breaking trees over, not letting me or 2-3 guys play through their drunken mob group that we have waited for on every tee for the last 4-8 holes. I helped build and still maintain the course I play on regularly, I never see any of the casuals helping (other than dumping the trash cans out on the tee pads to get the $.10 can returns, and then leaving all the other trash there for me and others to clean up) me or the others on work days so I guess I take disc golf too seriously. You need to realize it is the clubs, leagues, individuals, that you think take this sport too seriously that you have to thank for the majority of the couses you enjoy playing.

As I tell all the people I see abusing the course I helped build: We built and maintain this course for you, me, and everyone else to enjoy for free, not for you to trash. I guess I am not "cool" for having that view point, I must be taking disc golf too seriously.
Yay! I love group hugs.
We have a pay per play course here in San Diego and it is patrolled by regulars to keep graffiti and vandalism from occuring as much as possible. I do appreciate ALL locals , taking care of their courses as I know it takes alot of personal effort to keep it maintained for the general public.

Please do not throw trash on the ground and hang on to it till a trash can is available.

I do get really mad when I see anyone deliberately breaking trees and breaking glass containers. It ruins it for others.

As far as people talking , treat others how you would like to be treated. Respect for others goes along way !!!

As far as noise , well , have patience. It's hard to control everything around you. I'll wait till others stop talking or yelling before I throw a shot.

Sometimes you can hear me laughing from 5 holes away as I have been told , so I also need to be in check.
All I have seen on this thread is a newer player complaning about the people who are growing the sport through leagues taking the sport too seriously. Some of the people who play in that league have said they may need to begin earlier to beat the casual players before noon, not closing the course to just themselves. I think it is great all of the newer players are out at many courses. As in any activity hobby or sport you also need to take notice of what is happening around you. When you show up to a course and there are people waiting on every tee, be prepared to wait, if you hear it is a league, especially a large one such as Kensington, you may want to choose one of the other many courses available in that area, seems how the league type players that you dislike waiting for are playing there. If I am new to, let's say bowling, I wouldn't go to the bowling alley at the beginning of a league and wait impatiently saying they are taking too long and take bowling too seriously while waiting for a lane.
Mike,
I really think alot of this topic goes back to consideration for others or lack thereof.
The noob or casual or "enter term here" golfer is ignorant about course etiquette and or courtesy. More than just being quiet while someone else is throwing. There is also throwing out of turn, approaching the basket to the point that you are in someone's peripheral vision while they are trying to putt. All these and more, but who knew all these the first few times we played. These are all things we all had to learn, and sometimes the hard way.
Now, the other side. Those same persons probably believe it is the Parks Dept that does the majority of the work from raising funds to installations, to upkeep. They just don't know how much effort alot of golfers go through so they can go out and have a good time at the course. If something gets broke, the city will fix it, not really knowing if it's the city or the local club that actually does.
I try to invite the majority of the newer golfers to the minis or even a casual round and then give them the advise that furthered my game. I've even requested a sign to be made with the Rules of Course Etiquette to help them along.
But having been where they are, and thinking back, I thought what a bunch of tightwads, man those league guys need to lighten up. Now when I look back I wish someone would have helped me along a little faster, but that was twenty-one years ago and there wasn't that many fine upstanding seasoned disc golfers out there yet.
Just another two cents throw in to think about.
Peace.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968