www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So, my friends and I went out to Kensington for the first time ever on Sunday. I must say that the course was really nice and so were the people. We ended up joining a father & son duo who made for great company. While we were playing there was a league going on so it was pretty packed. My complaint/observation is about the league that was there.

It seems that the people who take the game serious tend to do worse than those who just relax. We were waiting for the group to tee off and standing back and giving them room while talking quitely amoungst ourselves. I thought we were talking far lower than normal level and one of the guys in group above us "shhhhh'd" us. We couldn't help it but to laugh, but we still honored his request. After the group ahead of us took 5 minutes of phantom shots they finally tee'd off and no a good drive out of the bunch. Now I know that doing 1-2 phantom shots doesn't hurt but to sit around and repeat it several times and then ask for silence just seems a bit too much.

Am I wrong here? I know to be respectful to people, just as I would like them to be to me but in my view it is all public space and so you must expect at least some level of noise (which was a completely reasonable level). Also, how many phantom shots are too many?

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

WOW,groups of 30+, waiting on every hole, you'all need to move down here to northeast Georgia. The most people I have every seen on a course on the most beautiful day would be around10-15 max.And we have some of the states best courses where I live. Rose lane in Tocoaa, and Lake russell in Elberton.Come on down!
"All I have seen on this thread is a newer player complaining about the people who are growing the sport through leagues taking the sport too seriously" in a way yes (even though I am not new to the hobby), but more complaining about the way the request for silence was given out. I have no problem with people taking it serious but there is a line that goes from serious to out of hand and this what I am complaining about.

I understand course etiquette completely. I never litter, always return lost discs (or at least attempt to) and an even standing at least 10 feet behind any tee when anyone is throwing and keep my voice down. I know that a lot of "casuals" are super dicks, and they can piss me off worse than people who take the game too serious. I don't like seeing good courses getting wrecked up with broken bottles and what not (although I do like to laugh at the "smoke" spots that seem to magically appear at every course).

I guess I will never venture out into a new course in fear of being shushed by elitist league players. Forgive me for not knowing every league in Michigan's schedule. Nah, just messing around. I know that those guys are the norm of league players.
actually if sunday leagues @ kensington reaches 100 people attending, (once it goes p2p) i've been told it will be closed. my gripe is that kensington is getting towards the point of cass, imo.
my 2c
oh yeah 1 more thing... when there is money on the line, most people get pretty serious.
I would recommend avoiding Kensington on Sundays before 4pm, at the very earliest, if you're unhappy with waiting forever and being "shhhh'd". I am a member of the league and everyone there is very cool. Some people take it far more seriously than others, because we pay every week, and we play for money, so it is for good reason. Unfortunately for us (and for the casuals), we were just under 100 players this past week so we couldn't close off the course, but I can almost guarantee that we will surpass that in the coming weeks. So be advised that if you show up Sunday morning, the course might be closed. You could always join us for leagues! $5 to play. Anyone is welcome!!!

I would also have to agree with John, most league players appreciate total silence while throwing, from casuals and league members alike.

It might also help to remember that everyone has their particular style. Some take a dozen phantom shots, some take none. It all balances itself out in the end. And not everyone in the league is a pro! We can't all throw perfect drives every time...
When tee's start backing up with groups and it's my turn to throw, I will walk on the pad and start my routine. If people are still talking and it is affecting my consentration, I usually do a few more "phantom" throws / alignments to kinda signal "I'm getting ready to tee off here - please be quite." Usually, people will catch this sutble hint, if not I try to block it out and throw. This might be why the thrower seemed to spend too much time on the box - he was hoping you would notice he was teeing off.

Tim - wow?!? I actually purchased one of your snapbands - I guess the joke is on me?
http://www.pdga.com/rules/801-conduct-of-players
I think this may cover both subjects.
I think its funny when people don't know how to use punctuation. hehe what's up Daniel?
i played there sunday too. i thought that the timing wasn't very good for a legue. afternoon on a sunday? but i guess even during the week legues are at a busy time when a lot of people are off work.
While playing a round yesterday, I came up on a couple of newbies that I've talked to at the course a couple times. I was playing solo and they invited me to either play along or play through and because I wasn't in a hurry, I played with them. After five or six holes it became apparent that one of the two had no idea about course etiquette. However because I realized he just didn't know I didn't shhhh him during my throws, and I didn't let it bother me that he threw out of turn. Instead, I took advantage and explained what etiquette should be followed during play. I told him at least it came from someone in a nice way rather than someone who wouldn't be so nice, and told him that's kinda what happened when I was just starting out. I am happy to report that he followed it pretty well the rest of the way through the course, even apologizing for talking once when his buddy was throwing.
When said in a nice way it had a good affect, and maybe now a noob is just a casual.
That's the way to do it. Not act like a db and shush someone. I think this topic got a little blown out of proportion. Walter explained that he was talking quietly and was 15 ft away from the tee box. If that is truly the case, the shhhusher was entirely in the wrong. It's a park, not a library. Course ettiquete is one thing, being an a$$ is another.
Are you not allowed only 30 seconds to prepare for your shot?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968