www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So, my friends and I went out to Kensington for the first time ever on Sunday. I must say that the course was really nice and so were the people. We ended up joining a father & son duo who made for great company. While we were playing there was a league going on so it was pretty packed. My complaint/observation is about the league that was there.

It seems that the people who take the game serious tend to do worse than those who just relax. We were waiting for the group to tee off and standing back and giving them room while talking quitely amoungst ourselves. I thought we were talking far lower than normal level and one of the guys in group above us "shhhhh'd" us. We couldn't help it but to laugh, but we still honored his request. After the group ahead of us took 5 minutes of phantom shots they finally tee'd off and no a good drive out of the bunch. Now I know that doing 1-2 phantom shots doesn't hurt but to sit around and repeat it several times and then ask for silence just seems a bit too much.

Am I wrong here? I know to be respectful to people, just as I would like them to be to me but in my view it is all public space and so you must expect at least some level of noise (which was a completely reasonable level). Also, how many phantom shots are too many?

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did not play in my usual league last night because as I pulled through the parking lot looking for a space I did not see any. So, when I was done snaking through, I just left. Too many cars = too many people. Imagine if people actually carpooled how crowded it could get!
The truth is, it really isn't polite to talk when someone is shooting even in casual play. That's just the nature of the game. It doesn't help someone's concentration to hear what you have to say. So just man up be quiet during shots, there's plenty of walking time in between..
wow. your really helping your case tim.
awesome people skills bro.
When me and my friends hit the course it usually results in a couple hours of pure fun and laughter, although if you are waiting behind a group of people who you don't know you should give them silence when they are teeing off. I sometimes find that people talking can being very distracting when I am teeing off.
I have a very short attention span and that may also be part of the problem.

I think if you are wanting to take phantom shots maybe you should try finding a large field where you can just go out and rip all the discs that you want. Its just like going to the driving range for ball golf. Ever since I have started practicing like this I have seriously shaved strokes on my game. It is a really good way to learn exactly what your discs can do without fear of shanking one into some thick rough.
What if you have a side bet on the game, wouldn't you want silence when you are throwing? It is a bit different when your are playing to win something, I think.
Remember rule 1!
Yeah keep watching my rating, its about to go up again. this ROOKIE just played his first open event and cashed. I guess I am a Pro Rookie now. Feel free to check out my stats on the PDGA website because I support the PDGA and the growth of this sport, by paying my dues. Sound like your just trying to make a buck.

OH and Tim (PDGA #36289, non current member) says he is a 988 rated player. can anyone back this up???
It appears all posts by Snap Band Tim have been removed from DGRUS.
I think he needed a "time out"
Just take an old disc, drill a hole in it, now tie an ecxercise band through the hole. BAMO! you have a snap band.
LOL!
All leagues play slow. Hudson Mills Wednesday League it's smart to ask what side the Dirty Doller Mob is on so you can go to the other side. Even I gotta call BS on Mobs cause I feel it's a pain to those of who don't have alot of extra time. Then again I've played in the mob so I can't say too much.

As far as talking, if your far enough back and keeping your voice low it's a good ESPICALY if they are taking waaaaaaaay to long. If you need arsonal for these cheese bags that think they are so good and take it so serios, go to the PDGA website (or the rule book if you got it) cause somewhere in there it say's something about having 30 seconds once you take the pad.

But I'm all with you. weather it's league or Comp I just gotta let it play as it plays. If I stress over it I just remember that it's JUST A GAME, and I play it to have fun. So sorry to anyone who takes it too serios. Unless your 1000 rated, and sponsered, maybe you should try to have some fun while your out.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968