www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So, my friends and I went out to Kensington for the first time ever on Sunday. I must say that the course was really nice and so were the people. We ended up joining a father & son duo who made for great company. While we were playing there was a league going on so it was pretty packed. My complaint/observation is about the league that was there.

It seems that the people who take the game serious tend to do worse than those who just relax. We were waiting for the group to tee off and standing back and giving them room while talking quitely amoungst ourselves. I thought we were talking far lower than normal level and one of the guys in group above us "shhhhh'd" us. We couldn't help it but to laugh, but we still honored his request. After the group ahead of us took 5 minutes of phantom shots they finally tee'd off and no a good drive out of the bunch. Now I know that doing 1-2 phantom shots doesn't hurt but to sit around and repeat it several times and then ask for silence just seems a bit too much.

Am I wrong here? I know to be respectful to people, just as I would like them to be to me but in my view it is all public space and so you must expect at least some level of noise (which was a completely reasonable level). Also, how many phantom shots are too many?

Views: 10

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Be careful Justin, you may be infringing on his(LOL) patent.
90 seconds on the pad 30 seconds once your get to your lie on any other throws
90 seconds on the pad

Never heard that one. Nice non rules rule!
Here is the exact rule: it is 30 seconds, tee pad or not:

http://www.pdga.com/rules/80103-excessive-time
Right, but the point being made

The player has taken a reasonable time to arrive at the disc and mark the lie

Just because I step on the teepad and look down the fairway does not stipulate that my time starts. My time does not start until I take my stance and am preparing to tee off. I can take up to a minute to get on the teepad if you think it is excessive by all means call me on it. However, there is no stipulation on "reasonable time" I think 60 seconds to get to the pad is reasonable and that is how we play it here in our local area. So 60 to get on the pad and take your stance + the 30 for your time after stance has been taken is total of 90 seconds.

The rule also stipulates that The playing area is clear and free of distractions. This includes deer walking through, people talking, trucks driving by. Well you get the idea.
Looks like 30 seconds according to the rules . Folks should not enter onto the teepad if they are not ready. This helps the speed of play also.
30 sec is pretty good time when you add in the time you get to look at the hole while your walking up time to inspect it. Adjust for who shoots first select a disc. By now you should be ready so 30 seconds on the pad seems good. If not I'm gonna guess you'll have more time to look at the hole and figure your shoot cause your most likely at the bottum of the card anyways
I will admit to being a serious, casual player, if such a thing exists. I take two warmup motions before each tee shot, and think that's fine. I don't mind folks talking during my shot, but would prefer that no one start a conversation out of the blue, and try to treat others the same. I often will talk during my own tee shots :) Personally, however, I'd prefer to see disc golf stay more like "disc" and less like "golf" in terms of etiquette, at least during casual rounds.

That all goes out the window if you've paid money to play in a tournament, of course, when I'd expect people to be respectful, and would do the same myself.

BLM
I think if you are playing in a competitive game then you should adhere to the PDGA rules; be courteous and remain quiet during another player's shot, simple. Although, I would have to agree that there are elements beyond your control that you must learn to block out; i.e. planes, helicopters, birds, squirrels, baskets next to busy car intersections, etc...

I tend to walk off the pad and wait for others to finish their conversation. If that doesn't work, I'll give a quick glance to the person. After that, I'll just block it out and pump out a good shot.

I do think if you play with a cool head you will definitely play better than letting little things like a quite whisper get to you. But it is discourteous to be making noises when others shoot. And that violation of the rule alone can cause a stir for some.
Yeah I totally agree with both those points more then any of the others. When there is money, and points on the line rules become a real issue, and etiquette are very important. I for one no matter what the round be try to always stop all talking of people on the hole when someone takes the pad. etiquette in my mind is far more important then the rules. That's why this discusion sparked my attention cause I too have a bit of issue with people taking what we all would agree on as to much time on the pad and holding up more then one group. We've all experenced it, and weather you'll come out and say it or not it bothers us all. And I'm sure more then one of us has second thought a shot or two and held up other players. The best thing to do is to try not to rush yourself, and yet be prepared when your time comes. The best way to help move things along is be better then the people taking forever. Either they'll be respectful and let you play threw or you'll get a good laugh at them every hole
The various tangents of this topic have been percolating in my head...

Kensington Sunday League (where the topic started) was canceled for last week and this week, no doubt in consideration of the Amateur weekend of the Discraft Great Lakes Open and the upcoming Amateur National Championships. This was a good call Jeff Kaluk, who runs the league. With the league seeing big turnouts and the ace pool over $800, the two tournaments would have lost players and volunteers to the League and would have diminished the tournaments.

On the time allowed for a player to throw: It's only 30 seconds. Except for rare situations it should not take more than 30 seconds. Most times it should take about 10 seconds. The typical shot is a challenge we have seen before and know well. As we are walking up to our discs we should analyze the shot, know which disc we will use and promptly set up when it is our turn. Taking more time does not improve a shot, it just makes it slower.

On losing Snap Band Tim: I'm going to miss him. Not just for the entertainment factor, which was substantial, but for the perspective. Tim seemed to be against collared shirts, Yuppies, the PDGA, Rules of any kind, Tournaments and the arrogance of players who think they are good at this game. All of those ideas have a degree of validity but are seldom expressed in the strangely eloquent/in your face style of Snap Band Tim.
I saw this post and it seemed awkward.
I like people who take the "game" seriously.
Seriously to do their best.
Seriously to feel the adrenaline pumping while you are playing.
Serious at being courteous to others in the park, course.
Not throwing extra shots. If you are serious " non intentional noise" will not bother you.
Back in High School lucky enough to part of a "championship" football team. Taught to take what you do seriously.
You know make an effort. (Yes you have bad moments).

It seems to me that these players you are talking about are not really serious players.
IF THEY WERE SERIOUS, THEY ACTIONS WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN AS SUCH!
Also, shouldn't your topic say 'too serious' instead of 'to serious.'

I would change the topic to "Those who overreact and don't take the game serious enough, to act properly!"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968