www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

So, my friends and I went out to Kensington for the first time ever on Sunday. I must say that the course was really nice and so were the people. We ended up joining a father & son duo who made for great company. While we were playing there was a league going on so it was pretty packed. My complaint/observation is about the league that was there.

It seems that the people who take the game serious tend to do worse than those who just relax. We were waiting for the group to tee off and standing back and giving them room while talking quitely amoungst ourselves. I thought we were talking far lower than normal level and one of the guys in group above us "shhhhh'd" us. We couldn't help it but to laugh, but we still honored his request. After the group ahead of us took 5 minutes of phantom shots they finally tee'd off and no a good drive out of the bunch. Now I know that doing 1-2 phantom shots doesn't hurt but to sit around and repeat it several times and then ask for silence just seems a bit too much.

Am I wrong here? I know to be respectful to people, just as I would like them to be to me but in my view it is all public space and so you must expect at least some level of noise (which was a completely reasonable level). Also, how many phantom shots are too many?

Views: 12

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I couldn't agree more Mark. Often times we learn the most are those times when we look at the situation from an opposite angle. Kind of a devils advocate sort of thing. Plus, the more viewpoints one has on a given subject, the closer you will get to where you really are centered on said topic.
Have you ever noticed:
You come back read these posts,
and especially your own:
No proofreading going on.
You sound stupid with a bad case of ebonics (hope not to offend anyone)

IF THEY WERE SERIOUS, THEY ACTIONS WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN AS SUCH!

Now that's funny!

I agree with that and Mark. I would say I take my game seriosly. I put my all in every shot to do my best. There in lies my ability to do good with the envoirment around me is less then to be expected. I agree the title should have included the wording "Players who take it too seriosly". I always take two line up draws before my shot, and it goes just fine after that. Talking should always be kept to minamal when someone has taken the pad. I think if all work like the one group we are all part of we can fix little problems like this by helping to keep people in our group quite when we catch up on another group, just as we can encourage players on our card to consider their shot sooner to help the game move along, or even take a later place in tee order to give them more time to think about it. Bickering between players just leads to seperation, and even with the ever growing number of players and courses we're still a less part of the sporting world. As so we need to be a strong group to help the growth continue, not turn in to several smaller sections of one larger picture. That will with out a dought weaken our cause.
I give a good two to four phantoms before most throws. Seems to help out, whereas too many seem to hurt. It's almost as though a person can over analyze a shot and psyche oneself out. It also does depend on many factors, like how you're feeling that day(back and/or muscle issues), stress, relationships, work, pressure put on yourself or from others, hungover, other extra-curricular warm-ups, phone calls, etc. As you can see there are a lot of things that can negatively influence the way you play, just like there are many that can have a positive effect. If you have to focus that hard on a shot, it's probably doomed before you step on the tee. Just step up and throw. 5-15 seconds on the tee should do it in most cases. Some people, like the one's you mentioned, have a hard time blocking things out. In disc golf there are bound to be distractions like church bells, passersby, cars, semis, playgrounds, a guy taking a piss in the bushes 10' from the tee. One must learn to focus despite what's going on. Does a construction worker stop and wait for a quiet time so he can concentrate, no. If you apply yourself in the right manner, things on the golf course can phase you unless you phase them out. On the other hand, take a look at Tiger Woods, how many times have we seen highlights of him asking for quiet on the tee? Different sport, but same principle. It would be hard to argue that quiet is not beneficial in performing on the tee. I've had great shots after no warm-up, bad shots after warming up, and vice versa. That's why I limit my "phantom throws", the rest of the group wants to see your shot and not your pre-shot routine...
Don't talk when I am on the teebox, but you can cheer for me all you want.
"The various tangents of this topic have been percolating in my head..."

Now, there's an interesting word-picture. No wonder we can't see the top of your head in your picture - you are hiding the little clear semi-sphere that shows your percolation in action.

Mark "Maxwell House" Ellis - kinda has a good ring to it. We'll have to modify your tag line to:

"Good to the last putt"
I take the game pretty serious and have a lot of fun playing. I also understand that there are going to be others playing a course. The league that I play on Wednesday nights could close the park because of a deal with Park and Rec. and our association (ADGA). We don't close the park down but we do let people know that leagues are going on and not to skip in front of us. We do that because we might have several groups and them skipping ahead could slow our speed of play. If a local league or association has a deal with Park and Rec., then they have the right away.

As far as people talking while there are groups teeing off, I don't agree with as it does distract a person. It is just like ball golf or tennis for instance. There is obviously a line in which this is overboard and most people know what that line is...whether it be the group teeing off or the people making the noise. My guess is that if you have an account here on this site, you're more likely than not to be a semi serious golf player. That being said, we all know the courtesy rules as they do transcend more than just disc golf.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968