www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

For those of you that tend to stick with one brand, have you ever decided to try out another brand, and then switch to it? And how did it work out for you in the end?

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had thrown all Innova up until about 3 years ago. I had gotten in touch with Dave McCormmack and he sent me a box of Gateway stuff. So I made a full switch to their products Played with ALL Gateway discs for a little over a year. Fell in love with the Wizard and the Element/Element X. I could never quite get the hang of their drivers. Called Dave and told him the drivers just weren't working out and my game was going down hill fast. He said no problem, play with a mixed bag. Pretty much encouraged me to be the best disc golfer I could and if that meant throwing Gateway/DisCRAP/ or Innova throw whatever. I switched back to Innova drivers but to this day I still use Gateway putters and their Element X/Warrior/Element mid-ranges. I think if I wouldn't have "tried" Gateways products I would have been missing out on some sweet discs. But, if you're throwing discs well and you like them, why even consider a switch? Just my $.02. (Sorry for the DisCRAP comment...I know that will offend some, but oh well)
I bought my first Discraft disc, an Avenger SS, about two weeks ago. It's a good driver. I have a Gateway Apache and a Wizard. All the rest are Innova.

I imagine Gateway continues to work on their drivers, and they'll probably get there one of these days.
My bag is 90% innova. I feel it fits my game the best. I have the forces,surges, predators etc. The only staple disc that are in my bag is the comet. I like the Surge, but it is nothing that my wraith can't do. I just like the feel of innova plastic better.
My bag is all Innova except for putters, which are Gateway Magic's. I used to throw a Buzz, but then I found the Star Ontario Roc and feel in love with it. One of the reasons I asked this question, and I don't think anyone brought it up, is that (sponsored or not) it is cheaper to stick to one company or two companies rather then to try out every new disc. I don't have a pro shop near me that does test drives or anything like that, so I have to buy or trade for all the discs that I try and if I don't like them I'm stuck with them collecting dust. Like right now, I have over 20 discs that are mostly in good shape because I tried them and didn't like them, or I already had a disc that could do the same job.
just about. i started with Innova exclusively, about 25 different molds, till i threw a predator. then i became interested in the surge. i loved those 2 so much, i began to explore Discraft more, my wife was not thrilled let me tell you. Now,i own 7 molds (Nuke, Predator, Surge, Surge SS, Banger GT, Wildcat, Flick)discraft, 1 Latitude 64 Vision, and 1 Innova 150class Sidewinder. i have successfully sold, traded or given away all my other Innova discs except for the ones I made experimental dyes out of that i have given my son.
Beginning of 2009 I started throwing exclusively Discraft. Since then my rating has gone up 51 points and still climbing. BUT.. before that I threw a mixed bag. I actually had very little use for Rocs and all those discs but I threw Wraiths and Orcs and Starfires. I've always putted with Challengers and my midranges were a QMS and a Wasp. For a long time an Xpress was my go-to driver. I don't miss Innova discs.
** TRY IT, YOU'LL LIKE IT **
I have to try a disc before I 'switch' to it. Until I'm sponsored, brand is irrelevant to me. If it flies like I need it to, I put it in my bag.
I've won discs in tourneys & some of these end up in my bag. I've found a lot of discs & some of those are in my bag (the ones with names/phone numbers/info were returned!).
When I first started, there were a lot of discs to choose from. People offered suggestions. I bought & tried a few discs. Didn't know what I was getting until I threw. Then they flew different after a few tree hits. Gotta get used to that.
Over time I ended up with extra discs! These were either sold ($$) or given away to new players.
Twice. I started throwing Innova only, it is the only brand that is here locally.
Then last summer started throwing Discraft. I switched most of my bag to discraft.

Then comes . . . last winter. I started throwing 150 discs. I love throwing 150s. Since Discraft does not offer to many 150s I am back to innova.
Most of us are not going to recieve a box of discs in the mail and be told to try them. I am more then willing to do that. I sometimes wonder if the cost of the new discs stop many of us.

I would love to try some gateway discs.
I used to throw strictly Innova. Not out of loyalty, however. It's really the only brand that I thought was available in my area. I've never been loyal to a specific brand, and I never will be. Each company has it's positives and negatives, so to remain loyal to one brand usually means you miss out on whatever positives the other brand has to offer. That being said, you must also remember that each disc isn't tailored to suit the needs of everyone who plays. What works for you may not work for me, and vice versa. The trick is finding what works for you, regardless of the manufacturer, and utilizing it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968