www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Sound odd? but I felt this way the other day. Granted I was working on my technique earlier in the day . But when I went out to play a round, that's all I could think about. So after 12 holes, I just quit and headed over to a nearby field and worked on my drives for about an hour and then headed of to the practice baskets for an hour or so of putting.

I had more fun that day working on my game than I did playing. So I was wondering if anybody else ever felt this way?

Views: 532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I realize that my last response was quite long but I have one more point to make. You can say that great players practice a lot but that doesn't prove that the practice is what makes them great. It only proves that great players are in the habit of practicing. In order to say that great players are great because of practice you would have to study someone for say a year where they practiced and then study them for say a year where they only played rounds and then compare the data. I know of no such study so a statement like that is only an unproved supposition. You could just as well say that great players have great natural talent.

worst argument against practice ever made.

practice and play as if you have to kill the basket and eat it to survive.

It's called causation. You can't just attribute something to one thing simply because of the end result. If you want to make the case that practice is what makes great players great then you have to prove it in some way. Just saying that great players practice doesn't prove anything. It's like saying that great players eat and go to the bathroom. Of course that is true, but that doesn't make them great players.

I would not disagree that for some players practice outside of rounds can make a difference. I just don't believe that it is universal. 

I heard a good one the other day. This guy says "Practice makes perfect". But then he says that is wrong and instead "Perfect practice makes perfect". In other words you have to find the practice that works for you. Just because practicing a certain way works for player X doesn't mean that exactly the same thing will work for me or anyone else. We are all motivated by different things and we have to choose what works for us.

"Practice and play as if you have to kill the basket and eat it to survive ". This sounds good.

well, while we're at logical fallacies, this is a hasty generalization. his one-time practice and one-time failure have no bearing on our argument for practicing. You said nothing about a long-term, consistent practice regimen that we are supporting. If all the pros that practice don't matter by causation, why did you post this example?

Here you make one good point, playing rounds is great for the mental game. It really prepares you for your head game.

You make one assumption here, as well. You say that at the age of 51 you have shots and your game won't change. Mark Ellis would have a few choice words for you on this subject. (and by choice words, I mean he would very calmly and nicely tell you that no one is ever done perfecting their shots.

You have contributed quite a bit to this forum. Eat Basket!

No, that's not what it means. Practice is drill....putting, throwing, approaching, executing the skills of the sport over & over. "Perfect practice" means that you are using proper technique when you are in the field or back yard putting, not that it might not be right for everybody.

Playing nothing but rounds is a lot like going to the gym and running for two minutes, benching 100 lbs., doing seven push-ups, doing three chin-ups, swimming one lap, jumping rope eight times, and jogging up one flight of steps. Will you get better? Sure......Eventually..... It's simply not as efficient as a good practice regimen.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968