www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Sound odd? but I felt this way the other day. Granted I was working on my technique earlier in the day . But when I went out to play a round, that's all I could think about. So after 12 holes, I just quit and headed over to a nearby field and worked on my drives for about an hour and then headed of to the practice baskets for an hour or so of putting.

I had more fun that day working on my game than I did playing. So I was wondering if anybody else ever felt this way?

Views: 527

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

All the time. Every sport I've ever competed in I have enjoyed practicing, it makes me feel more prepared.

Practice is overrated. When it comes down to it, you need to make that shot when it counts, not while you are practicing. I try not to throw too many shots before a round because I don't want to waste a good shot. Each to his own I guess. I prefer to play rounds for money, especially in league or informal skins rounds. Money is good motivation.

I guess since I don't think of it from a Money aspect, practice doesn't bother me. I try and beat the course, but Mostly, I try and beat my mind. That is where the Practice helps me most....

Lately my brain has just been getting in the way of my body doing the right thing. Other times I know the right shot to take but the body just doesn't obey. Once in a while the mind and body come together and that is usually when I leave league with some extra cash in my pocket. I'm just getting old now so I try to relax and have fun and chuck a few good shots. If I'm not enjoying myself then I probably shouldn't be out there. Playing in league with friends is what I look forward to. It's a lot of fun to just be bombing them out there and see who can make that awesome shot. Practice for me just seems like a lot of unnecessary effort since I have already thrown those shots so many times before (hundreds or even thousands of times).

"Practice is overated."

Hahaha.  Unless, of course, you want to get better. 

Disc golf is a game and a hobby and there is nothing wrong with playing solely for fun and social interaction.  But for those who take the game seriously and find greater enjoyment by playing at the top of their potential then practice is best, surest and fastest way to accomplish this.

There are lots of players who play a lot and never practice.  Some of these players have superb skills and some have less.  But eventually everyone hits a plateau.  This plateau is much more likely to become a permanent resting spot for those who do not practice.

What is the alternative to practice?  Try harder during rounds?  Hope for magic?  Find your zen spot?  Wear your lucky socks?  Nah, most players keep playing with their same group of buddies and stagnate.  Look around you.  Isn't that exacting what you see?  Experienced players find their level and stay there til old age or injury or lack of time or interest drag them down.

Practice is cumulative in benefit.  The long term benefit of consistent practice is amazing.

Mark,

You make some very good points there.  I on the other hand do not mind practicing alone.  Many times I am traveling alone to play a tournament , need to see a course or two and write my notes.  When I  am at home, I play against myself.  Some of the toughest competition I know (with all the head games).  I have an electronic score keeper, that keeps score for player A, me,  and player B.  Player A gets the first choice in the bag, and Player B gets anything else.  It really helps if somewhere you lose a driver, you already know another driver that will fall into that place.  Sometimes Player B can only throw annies, and sometimes   Player B, can only throw buzzes/mid ranges.  

When I finally decide to play with others at my course , the casual play is more fun, and I've already got 2 rounds under my belt for the day.

Good Luck

SK 

I have spent the last 3 days throwing in the field at my Pa-in-Law's (who now comes out and throws with me!) house in Idaho. An extra 100 plus throws to do nothing but focus on form, technique, and accuracy. My snap is really improving and I am right at this moment throwing Further with more consistency. I just CANNOT see where Practice is a BAD thing if you want to improve your game. It sure helps me when I do it, REGULARLY.

Experienced players find their level and stay there til old age or injury or lack of time or interest drag them down.

That's my case.

One good way to "practice" is to go out and play a round, either in league or just an informal round against a friend or two. What that can do for you is get you into the mindset that is necessary for winning. While someone might have good skills, it won't matter one bit if they don't have the mental aspect necessary for winning. So while I was playing league doubles today I was constantly thinking about game management, figuring out what I did wrong and did well and "practicing" course management. That is something that you won't get by going out to a field. I have gone to a field in the past because it is a good way to get in ten or fifteen drives in a short amount of time. But it only matters if you can duplicate a good throw when it counts. That is where a "practice" round can help.

BTW, my partner and I tied for second today and only lost out after a five hole playoff. On the very first hole the other team parked the hole and I had to hit a 100 foot sidearm shot with a Star TeeBird to extend play. That is the mental toughness that I am talking about. You can't get that just throwing in a field. I don't think that you should discount a good round of doubles as a way to "practice".

What if you don't play for "fun" but instead because you enjoy competition. Not throwing in a field or at the practice basket doesn't mean that you don't take the game seriously. I take each and every shot seriously.

Maybe if you had "practiced" more you would have made that shot to win 2nd outright or tie for 1st. Practice promotes muscle memory plain and simple. It increases the percentage of good shots you make and decreases the percentage of poor shots in a competitive round.

If league doubles is your passion then go for it, I personally find alt shot doubles about as mentally tough as doing laundry. You drive every other hole and maybe putt out a 9-10 times. I compete in MPM and it is hard to cash in North Carolina...that is my motivation.

I agree MonTTy, and Muscle Memory turns into Confidence, which turns into Better control of your Mental Game. Confidence is key! And Practice builds all of it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968