www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Sound odd? but I felt this way the other day. Granted I was working on my technique earlier in the day . But when I went out to play a round, that's all I could think about. So after 12 holes, I just quit and headed over to a nearby field and worked on my drives for about an hour and then headed of to the practice baskets for an hour or so of putting.

I had more fun that day working on my game than I did playing. So I was wondering if anybody else ever felt this way?

Views: 516

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Maybe if you had "practiced" more you would have made that shot to win 2nd outright or tie for 1st. Practice promotes muscle memory plain and simple. It increases the percentage of good shots you make and decreases the percentage of poor shots in a competitive round.

If league doubles is your passion then go for it, I personally find alt shot doubles about as mentally tough as doing laundry. You drive every other hole and maybe putt out a 9-10 times. I compete in MPM and it is hard to cash in North Carolina...that is my motivation.

I agree MonTTy, and Muscle Memory turns into Confidence, which turns into Better control of your Mental Game. Confidence is key! And Practice builds all of it.

Well my partner who did practice putting before the round missed the very same shot so what does that say? I am 51 years old so my muscles have plenty of memory. Probably more than even me.

well, while we're at logical fallacies, this is a hasty generalization. his one-time practice and one-time failure have no bearing on our argument for practicing. You said nothing about a long-term, consistent practice regimen that we are supporting. If all the pros that practice don't matter by causation, why did you post this example?

You know, I went out to play today with a few friends and I played much better. Lately I have been in a semi-funk and today's round made me realize that I am just not following through properly on my putts. Somehow my mind is getting in the way and I'm not just getting up there and canning them. Now that I know the issue I am sure that the next round will be better. Now, is what I did today practice? Of course it is. I just didn't practice in a field. And even though it wasn't a perfect round it was a good round.

I wish that I was a good enough player to say I don't need to practice. However since that's not the case I'll keep throwing my upshots and putting at home, because I think it helps. (at least it does me.) My scores have improved on average about 3-4 strokes per round, which has put me from being a contributer to the prize fund to actually taking home prizes. Now if I could just get my drives to go where I want them, I would not need to make as many "Great upshot" shots.

Maybe we all have different ways of practicing. I just try to play as much as possible and maybe some of those rounds end up being "practice" rounds. After all, if there isn't money or something on the line then to me it is just practice. Today I took a couple of shots a couple of times since it was just a round with friends. I try not to do that too much since it can annoy fellow competitors, but today our pace of play was pretty slow so it wasn't a big deal.

I guess that one thing that you can't practice by just throwing putts or drives is the mental game. That comes about in rounds. I realize that at the age of 51 I already have a lot of shots in my arsenal and my game probably won't change in any great way. So rounds give me a way to test myself. It is all about confidence and "practicing" confidence is key to my game. I want to throw the best shots each round that I play and in league I want to win. It doesn't always happen that way but at least I have the confidence to believe that it is possible each time that I play. Also playing with others can sometimes give you a new way of looking at things, either because you saw something you didn't see before or because someone else "turns you on" to something new (shot, disc, etc.).

In the end if it works for you then keep doing it.

Here you make one good point, playing rounds is great for the mental game. It really prepares you for your head game.

You make one assumption here, as well. You say that at the age of 51 you have shots and your game won't change. Mark Ellis would have a few choice words for you on this subject. (and by choice words, I mean he would very calmly and nicely tell you that no one is ever done perfecting their shots.

All the time. I spent more time in the field practicing than playing on the courses. I wanted to know my discs and their flights to know what to throw and when. Plus you can just go out and crush, crush, crush and work on your endurance for those long tourneys. 

I practice more than I play during the tourney season here.  I only show for leagues (sometimes) and tourney's when it is time to play.

One of the things that I have realized from this thread is that there is no "one size fits all" way to go about things in disc golf. Some people are just starting out and can benefit from going to the field. Others like me have been playing for so long that we know what works, we know both our strengths and limitations, and we don't have aspirations to be the next Ken Climo. That doesn't make us any less competitive however. It's just that going to a field to throw probably won't significantly change our games. At the age of 51 I still enjoy league and competing for money. I also enjoy casual rounds with friends. But putting in hours of practice is not where it is at right now in my life. I just praise God that I am still alive and can still beat some people at this game. My favorite activity is playing doubles with good players. Doubles is the time to bring out all of your best shots and show others that you have what it takes to win. And age does bring experience which is important.

Maybe next year I can compete in a tournament or two in Grand Masters. I haven't competed in a tourney in many years now, but I would love to get back into a few good tournaments as a way to test myself. In the meantime I plan on playing a few rounds.

There is a lot of "if it works for me it must work for you" attitude in disc golf. But we are all different people who just happen to play the same game. All I know is that "if it works for me, it works for me".

Outside of putting practice, playing in a field for hours and hours made the biggest difference in my game.  I have a hard time believing that this wouldn't do the same, quicker, for somebody else; especially if they were just starting out.

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968