www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have a question about the weights of discs.  Is it better to throw a heavier or lighter disc for distance.  Right now im throwing about 350 with a destoryer but its a 172.  I have friends that have said try a lighter disc and you can get more distance.  So now i ask the gang is it better for lighter or heavier discs or what do you prefer.

Views: 1657

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I throw about 350 on avg. for big distance i throw 165g-170 if there is no wind.....But I fling a 150g wraith out there with alot less power.
I do not throw 350. I went from 250 to over 300 by dropping weight to 150g. I really enjoy the 150 class.
I use lighter discs. The talk is, you get more spin with lighter discs. I find this to be true in my case. Most of my drivers are in the 164g to 168 range. However, My flippy discs are were I add the weight. My Sidewinder and Vision are 170g. It is most likely a mind game on my part, but I don't flip them over as much. I also like my mids heavy as well. I also play in a fairly windy area and I find that weight is not that big of a deal, when dealing with headwinds.
I use nothing but heavy max weight discs except for my 169 ESP predator and its a stable as a flick, but most everything else i flip, but thats me
I use all max weigfht except for my 169 banshee for overhead shots
I have both but like someone said heavier discs are better for windy days and such, but a light disc can def. increase your distance, it has for me. I have the same exact disc but one is 172 and one is 165 and it defanilty makes a difference. good luck :)
i like lighter disc ,once i started throwing 150 class i stoped pulling the 170's out of my bag . lighter is easier to get the distance.
There are pros and cons of both. For downwind or no wind, light discs definitely go farther. They are also more easily beaten up by trees and rocks. The only choice for headwind is heavy. Rollers, max weight.
Lighter discs WILL yield more distance if thrown the same as the heavier counterpart...period. Obviously you have to factor in the wind where applicable.
I go heavy on my mids and putters because they are generally less stable and more sensitive to the wind. I try and keep most of my drivers around 170 and under, but I do keep a few heavy discs for windy days.
Everybody's different. One feller might turn over a destroyer at 165g while his twin can huck it 400 feet.

Rent a few discs of varying stabilities and weights to help find your comfort/power/wind "bands" and forge ahead!
Here's Avery Jenkins talking about what he throws...for distance competitions anyways.

I don't know how this helps, but he is stronger than a mule on payday but I guess if even he throws a little lighter it must be workable.

It's confusing between "max weight"s and the "165, 172, etc..": 172 Star Boss, 165 Pro Boss, Pro Destroyer.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1qAABEAyu8&feature=related

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968