www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

It's so hard to make a priority list of the enjoyable things about disc golf, but high on our list is how it reinforces our knowledge that every single person can be a good disc golfing buddy. In our travels overseas, we have found the same thing. Several years ago we started contributing money to Kiva.org, which is a nonprofit that works with what are called "micro-lenders" who make small loans to entrepreneurs who live in some pretty rugged socioeconomic conditions. These are often people for whom $25 can make or break the way they live their next 20 years of life.

We don't make a profit (yet) from DGRUS, but we do have revenues coming in. All of it goes right back out, one way or another, into disc golf, and not just in underwriting the costs of this network. In recognition of the egalitarian nature of disc golf, we want to reach our]t from DGRUS to people in other places; people who could be disc golfers in some better, future life, but have no chance at it now. So, we've created a DGRUS identity in Kiva and have placed $100 in it. Over the next few days, we are going to ask you for help in identifying 4 entrepreneurs that our community will assist, to the tune of $25 each. Going forward, we will accumulate a percentage of all our revenues and, each time the bucket contains $25, we'll do this again. You'll be able to see who is being helped and follow their progress at http://www.kiva.org/lender/wwwdiscgolfersrus.

As a group, we selected Kodjo Monglo this time. The other two will indeed get their loans, but from other people. Thanks so much for your feedback. We'll be providing another set of selections soon. You can see that Kodjo has been added to our Lenders page here - http://www.kiva.org/lender/wwwdiscgolfersrus - if you click on his image, you can see who else has contributed to his loan so far.

The following are the three choices from which DGRUS members selected Kodjo.

Mrs. Sokyoeurn Chea Village Bank Group - Cambodia - This village bank, which consists of 19 members, is located in Chhea Teal village in the Kandal province. They plan to use the loan they obtained for different purposes. Mrs. Sokyoeurn Chea has been selected by the members to be the village bank president. She sells fish and is also a pig breeder. Since her pig-breeding business is doing well, she wants to expand it by purchasing more piglets to breed to earn more income.

Abraham Sambou - Senegal - Abraham Sambou is a young man who has an independent taxi run on the Ziguinchor-Cap Skiring line. In the tourist season, he manages to do quite well. With his taxi, he supports the members of his family who stayed in the village. He is asking for a loan to overhaul his vehicle so as to offer quality service to his clientele.

Kodjo Monglo - Togo - Mr. Monglo Kodjo is about 30 years old. Due to a lack of financial means, he couldn't pursue his studies. He devoted all his time to driving a motorbike taxi. In order to work for himself, he's requesting financing to buy a motorbike, so as to be a motor taxi driver. The profits from his work will allow him to provide for his family.

Views: 16

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Village Bank Group
Very nice Terry. You and Sheila are awesome. See you this summer.

Abraham Sambou
yea i sey kodjo monglo
The village bank group seems to be benificial to a large community , a worthy endever to help all. They get my vote.
First off Terry I think this is a great way to pay life forward. Thanks for the reflection. Being about 30 yrs old myself I too could understand the pressure of making a life for your self. It takes a tribe to raise a child and Monglo will need the help. So my vote goes for Monglo Kodjo from togo!!!!!!

Peace
Jonny Roc
My wife and I make small loans to those who are in need as well. Each time we have provided, we have recieved our money back. I am a strong supporter in these efforts!
Yes, we've had every loan we've made fully repaid, then put the payments back out to new loans.
Mrs. Sokyoeurn Chea Village Bank Group
I vote Mr.Monglo
Thanks, everyone. It looks like Kodjo Monglo is our selection this time.

There is a certainty that the other two will be funded by others, so they don't completely lose out - they just don't get us.

You can see that Todjo has been added to our Lender Page here - http://www.kiva.org/lender/wwwdiscgolfersrus. If you click on his picture there, you can see who else has - so far - loaned money for him, plus other details.

We'll do this again soon, maybe even this afternoon if I have time left on my lunch break to do the post formatting.
This is a phenomenal choice on the part of DGRUS... Kiva is a wonderful organization and is truly effective - what a difference $25 can make.

I vote for Kodjo Monglo - lets get him that motorbike!
Kodjo

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968