www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I'm fairly new and still play more or less a three disc game (distance driver, Putter and sometimes a midrange_, It has worked well but i have stopped forward progress... I hear all the name brand arguments and all that, i'm more curious how to choose what types of discs to start buying and when to throw what types of discs....... HELP....

Views: 5

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think it is hard to recomend discs for players you have never seen play before as you dont know what would suit you. I started of with no help and know one around to show me so i went out and bought alot of discs and just tried them all untill i found a bag i was with happy with.

Here if i am selling to a new player i would sell them a Champion Monarch driver, light shark/Glide Z Mid and a Aviar or Magnet Putter
Brandon Swanson said:
Okay, I reread JC's post and yes, that looks like what they meant...sorry about that JC...I just wanted to clarify that point.

No problem Brandon...better to repeat and clarify to get the point across, I always say.

So to re-iterate again, I did mean stable as in straight flying. But one must bear in mind that "stable" is relative. All discs can be put on a stability spectrum from most over to most under, but that doesn't automatically mean that the disc in the dead middle of that spectrum is going to fly straight for everyone. For some players, especially beginners, that straight stable disc might just be well over on the under-stable side of the spectrum, meaning there will be a ton more discs on the over-stable side for that particular player. The goal should be to improve to a point where your straight stable discs are somewhere in the middle of that spectrum, which is what I meant by my last line:

"...I think what you want to do is start with by filling the stable roles first. Then as you develop your skills to a point where those discs act more understable, you fill in new stable discs. And so on..."

Those first discs for the stable role will likely be on the under-stable side of the spectrum, but as skills develop, the player should shift toward the center of the spectrum. This is why when I'm selling drivers to newer players (though I try to push them towards putters and understable mids), I start them with Leopards, XLs, Roadrunners, etc. NEVER, and I repeat NEVER, would I sell a new player a super driver like a Destroyer or Force or Wraith. Bad, bad, bad for them.
Mike says it best. Get you some used discs, or borrow some friends and start "feeling" them out. You will find what best works for you. I carry both Innova and Discraft becuase I like the disc not hte company. You just got to throw them to really see how they work for you.
Yeah I would ignore any specific Disc reccomendations.....Stick with round, heavy and over stable. New players always excel with those types of discs.....Bahahahahahhahahaha!!!!

Here's another tip, if you own a car....it works best with gas in it. LMAO!!!!

Dude, unless your already crushing 350' out of the gate, stick with the easy to throw (understable) stuff first...then work your way up to the harder to throw stable plastic. Get more then one putter. The short game is the most important part of this game. Having multiple putters for practicing is a step in the right direction.
Jamie 'gr8rocshot' Ruane said:
Yeah I would ignore any specific Disc reccomendations.....Stick with round, heavy and over stable. New players always excel with those types of discs.....Bahahahahahhahahaha!!!!

Dude, unless your already crushing 350' out of the gate, stick with the easy to throw (understable) stuff first...then work your way up to the harder to throw stable plastic. Get more then one putter. The short game is the most important part of this game. Having multiple putters for practicing is a step in the right direction.

I'd say don't listen to this sarcastic fool, but unfortunetly for me he was more or less my disc golf teacher. I played with him for a while in Daytona and I saw a huge improvement in my game in just a short period of time listening to his (as well as others) advice. I won't give my 2 cents only because I'm still in the learning process myself and I don't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction...
Kaiser said:
Jamie 'gr8rocshot' Ruane said:

I'd say don't listen to this sarcastic fool, but unfortunetly for me he was more or less my disc golf teacher. I played with him for a while in Daytona and I saw a huge improvement in my game in just a short period of time listening to his (as well as others) advice. I won't give my 2 cents only because I'm still in the learning process myself and I don't want to steer anyone in the wrong direction...

Bahahahahahahahahaha!!!!! Kaiser was one of the fastest to improve players I've seen in a while....that is....once he put his purse down and lost the skirt!!! Ha!!!
throw anything that is understable and stable, stay away from the overstable discs for awhile. Learn your putter!!!!!! because putting is the bottom line too scoring.. drive for show, putt for dough.
Teebird, Destroyer, Sidewinder, Kc roc, Kc aviar. These are 5 disc u need to have.
If I was going to pick 3 discs for a new player. I would pick an Innova Monarch for a driver, a shark for a midrange, and an Apx soft for a putter. If you decide to try other drivers, stick to understable until you get better.
What Discs Are Necassary in All Bags ? Drivers , Mid-range discs and Putters !!!!
You need to check out the inside back cover of the new FDM magazine. Those are the 10 discs you need.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968