www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Please rank these drivers by stability (Z Nuke, Star Boss, Star katana, and Opto Halo)... I'm thinking about getting a Halo, but I want to see how other people say it flys.

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Star Katana is overstable.
Most stable- star boss
- star katana
- z nuke
but it's hard to say where the katana and nuke stand on this. I've found the star katana to be a good hyzer disc for me, but the nuke seems to fight strong headwinds better. I throw rhbh avg 350 feet, if that helps. I only was able to throw the halo once and I grip locked it so don't realy know how it stands in the rankings.
I liked the Pro Katana, but the Star was a bit to over stable for me.... I do throw disc's that over stable but not what I was looking for. I like the TeeRex thats a fun disc.
for me the Star Boss is the most overstable, the Nuke and the Katana are about the same, never thrown a halo
Halo is probably similar to a boss as it is supposed to be a fast overstable driver. Katana's, and nukes are supposed to be less stable.. I have a z nuke that is unreliable in the wind, as i wouldnt trust a katana in the wind.. boss and halo are probably designed to be thrown w/ 400-500' of power... where as a nuke or katana would be pretty flippy that fast...

Side note the Halo has an angled rim like the Teebird +
I have only thrown my Halo a few times, but to me it seems just a bit less stable than the others listed. (I thought it was comparable in stability to a Star Destroyer.) However, it was a bit windy that day and my sample size was way too small to be conclusive.

You might also refer to:

http://marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/htmlpages/flightguide.html

http://www.gottagogottathrow.com/discgolf/pdf/JoesFlightChart1.pdf
That is why I have a Lemon Lake Katana coming this week courtesy of Ben Calhoun. Gave my flat top Star Katana away and got me some Lemon Lake. Thanks Ben.
Most overstable to least overstable: Star Boss, Star Katana, Opto Halo, Z Nuke
I own all of them BTW. Someone compared the Halo to a destroyer and I'd say that's a fairly good comparison, except that the Halo is not as fast as any of the discs you listed and it's not as fast as a destroyer either. It's not a bad driver at all, but it just won't carry as far as any of those discs. I'd say it compares better speed wise to the wraith or surge. (I throw an average drive 360'-380' for comparison sake)

It's pretty controllable, but I didn't like that the inner rim slants outward toward the edge of the disc (like the teebird +). That just seemed to make it harder to grip as it's got a fairly big rim. It slipped out early on a number of occasions. I don't have this issue with the vision even though it has the same slant.
What is the best Lat 64 disc? Fast and maybe slightly overstable. My friend had one the other day and I liked how it felt but I only threw it once. Don't remember which one it was however.
Hmm... probably the Halo. I would say it fits that description. Best? I haven't thrown them all so I wouldn't know, but I'm really partial to the vision right now. It's the only one of theirs in the bag. Think sidewinder, but slightly longer glide and a slower but similar amt of turn.

I'd say their biggest hit is the striker, but I've never thrown one. Lot's of people enjoy the river. The Pure is a fantastic putter. I came close to putting that one in the bag, but the putting game isn't really broken right now and I didn't see the need to shell out more money. They've got a lot of great stuff.
I am thinking about getting the river, and core to try out. I was just wondering if I should grab anything else. I do not want to spend too much. these discs are a little bit more then Discraft or Innova. I would get a putter, but I just bought a set or Organic Magics, and have been working on those.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968