www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I am have hip replacement surgery next week. Has any one had experience with getting back into disc golf after surgery. Did it change how you throw? Any advice.
Thanks Peter

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

never had it but just wanted to wish you good luck with the surgery. Any time a discer is down, we all need to pray, or wish or whatever you do so that there will be a speedy recovery and health for that person.
Sorry to hear Peter. I haven't gone through it myself, I just wanted to pass along my best wishes for a speedy recover and tell you that if you use your physical therapy the right way, you will get back into the game. I went thorough a shattered ankle, was told I might not walk without the assistance of a cane. I did everything my doctors suggested through the PT program (all the outside work - stretching, massage, etc.), ran a mile after 3 months, ran a marathon after a couple years.

So, get the right diet - allow your body to have access to everything it needs to recover and work that hip in your PT!

Good Luck!!
Godspeed Peter, hope the surgery goes successful and a full recovery. Never had any major injuries or surgeries like that so can't really offer advise.
I do have a friend with a prosthetic leg and he just had to adapt his throwing motion, and another that had major shoulder surgery who during the healing process became ambidextrous, now he never seems to get stuck in the rough.
My brother and I were talking about getting older and how it effects your game all around just last night during a round. I'm lucky but he has a bad back do to a car accident and lost a little distance, some days he can't play at all.
Bottom line is you love the game as much as the rest of us, you'll be back playing, but good luck just the same.
Good luck with the surgery. I've been lucky so far myself. Relatives and friends ALL tell me, though, that the physical therapy for hip and knee replacements is always tougher to do than you are told going in. But that you definitely need to do it all.
I have no advice for you, but I too wish to know what disc golf recovery is like for a replacement. I'll have to have a hip replacement within the next 10 years. I just assumed it would be the end of my disc golf hobby. Thats why I try to get in as many tournaments I can per year.
Please keep me updated on how yours goes. And I wish you luck.
If you don't mind, I will add you to "My freinds" list and let you know how it goes.
Peter

Kwilliamson said:
I have no advice for you, but I too wish to know what disc golf recovery is like for a replacement. I'll have to have a hip replacement within the next 10 years. I just assumed it would be the end of my disc golf hobby. Thats why I try to get in as many tournaments I can per year.
Please keep me updated on how yours goes. And I wish you luck.
I have not had hip replacement surgury... but, a good friend of mine has. He got better as a result. He was out for a couple of months but came back and is still playing better then ever. I hope the surgery goes well and that you're back on the links ASAP.
Hey Chas,

If you are referring to Dr. Leonard Johnson of Big Rapids, Michigan then it was darn nice of you to respect his medical privacy. He is walking better and throwing well his new hip. Of course, he threw well with his old hip, too. But now we aren't distracted by his painful moaning so we can play our music at lower volume.

Chas Ford said:
I have not had hip replacement surgury... but, a good friend of mine has. He got better as a result. He was out for a couple of months but came back and is still playing better then ever. I hope the surgery goes well and that you're back on the links ASAP.
I play with Dr. Johnson up here in Big Rapids and can also vouch for him playing very well. He also built the course here where he did a lot of manual clearing, after the surgery. I haven't had hip replacement surgery, but I was in a serious motorcycle accident in 04 where I coumpound fractured my tibia in my shin through my ankle socket and it broke my ankle socket in three spots. I had about 5 surgeries while I was hospitalized for a month at U of M hospital, then had a ankle reconstruction surgery in 05. Lots of physical therapy (do what they tell you), getting things working again and some of the movement back. I played for about a year wearing a big plastic walking boot. Now my ankle still looks like a softball and I have limited movement, so my game has changed quite a bit but you adapt to what you are able to do.

Hip surgery from what I have heard is pretty common place in the medical field and recovery rate is pretty quick compaired to what I went through. I think you will be just fine and be back out sooner than you think. I know Leonard uses a pull cart to help alleviate unneeded extra weight on his hips. So maybe designing a cart will give you somthing to do in your off time. Best wishes on a successful replacement and a speedy recovery!
Hi everone.
This is my fist time back at the computer after my hip surgery on the 20th. I am back home moving around the house on a walker. Twenty twostaples in my left hip. Damn but they pull. Will be glad to get the staple out. Jut to do my part to make sure they got the correct hip, I took a maker and wrote "Cut Here" with a dashed line on my left hip. The surgon looked at it, laughed and said actualy we will cut here and drew a new line. More later if people want to know.
Thanks to everyone for you thoughts and prayers.
Peter
Good to hear your home!
Another up date:
Four weeks after surgery and I am walking with just a cane and have returned to work. Haven't played yet, but have done some putting practice. Still working on building up my stamina.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968