www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I tried to pick up Disc Golf last year and became frustrated at my lack of progress (Frisbee-throwing alluded me as a kid, too). Eventually I ended up selling my discs for cash and haven't played since. Now I'm looking to hit the reset button and be more disciplined in learning how to play properly, rather than try to rush in to it.

That being said, I'm looking for a single beginner disc to train myself with. I am most familiar if Innova and was thinking about the Aero or Archangel. Can anyone offer advice?

Tags: Innova, advice, beginner, disc advice, help

Views: 7

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I "third" the Leopard, great beginner disc.
Want to cheat? 4 discs to do every shot in disc golf: (1 putter, 1 midrange, 1 understable driver, 1 stable driver)

Soft Banger GT Putter - it has a groove in it, feels like you're cheating
Buzzz - Get 250 ft straight lines, holds lines u put it on
150class Sidewinder or Latitude 64 Vision - non-wind & tailwinds (throw em on hard hyzers,they'll flip up flat for you), anhyzers, rollers
Discraft Predator - Headwinds, Tomahawks, Scoobies, Thumbers, Sidearm

Perfect these 4 discs or discs that have similar flight characteristics (trade a buzzz for a roc, a monster for a predator, etc.), its all you'll ever need, PROMISE!!! Don't buy 20 different MOLDS!!!!! it'll just confuse you, keep it simple.
Thanks, J.D. At least for the moment, I intend to keep it even simpler than that. I intend to train myself on a single disc to get my basic technique down as best as possible, then start learning additional tricks and use of various discs.
I would go Buzzz or Comet. Both fly really straight and show exactly what you are doing with your release and such. Very versatile discs.
Alas, I already lost my new Leopard on the 8th hole of my first round. This is a very expensive sport when you haven't developed the skill yet!
Plus, beginners and even some int. players have no business throwing a Predator.
My opinion is start with Putter only.
When you can throw that dead straight, then work on Hyzering and Anhyzering it.
Then progress to a midrange disc and do the same.
Then when you get to drivers your technique should be refined and you will be able to get full benefit of a driver.
It would of saved me alot of years if I would of learned doing the first three sentences.
Skip the water holes (in casual play) till you get things down a bit more.
1 disc? Get something that flies straight so you can learn pure lines. The leopard that people were talking about is a great first DRIVER, but you shouldn't have a driver in your hands yet.

Get a straight midrange or putter. I think that Aero you mentioned would be a perfect choice (as it is a sort of hybrid between the midrange and putter) and it's only 8 bucks. Learn to throw that left, right and straight. When you have relative command with each of these shots, then pick up the leopard again and have fun.
I agree with Brandon. At my home course we have 4 to 5 (depending on basket placement) hole that play over water. I skipped those holes until I had an idea of were the disc might go. Heck, even today. I carry two water discs. Because, even after several years. The pond wants a donation from time to time:)
Look, like a lot of people here say, forget the drivers. Get a mid range, there is tons of debate on what mid range is the best, but it all depends on the person.

For a dependable fade at the end of the flight, you can hardly beat a Roc, or a Wasp.
For a nice straight mid that holds the line you put it in a Buzzz, Core, or Mako tend to do very well, but aren't as stable to drive with.

Get a Roc or a Wasp for the time being. First off, they are slower and will not be as punishing when you make a mistake. You will with practice learn to put these things on a nice straight line 200+ feet, and will also during this time have learned to put the disc on Hyzer and Anhyzer lines when needed. Once you can consistently control this thing out to 200+ feet grab yourself a faster driver and a putter (Valkyrie, Tee-Bird, Crush, etc etc), throw the driver just like you would the mid range disc and watch her sail out to 300+ feet. Smile, walk out there, assess the distance to the basket, if over 100', pull out the old trusty Roc and set her sail toward the basket, if you sink it that's awesome, but at least try to leave yourself an easy putter toss, if the drive puts you within 100' of the basket pull out the putter and send it toward the basket. The putter is slower and goes shorter distances so you'll have less tendancy to over throw the basket too much.

As you develop skills your ranges out with putters, midranges and drivers will change.

I started with a Roc and playing daily, sometimes two rounds daily. Within a week I was throwing my Valkyrie, Crush, and Sidewinders 300+', my Roc 200+, and my putter upwards of 130' or so. From there on out it's been a much slower progression.

2 years later I am Maxxing at about:
420ish with a Valkyrie, Boss, Groove, and Katana
350 to 370 with a Sidewinder, Crush, Destroyer
300ish with a Stingray, Cobra
230ish with a Roc (with a good rip I can likely get 250s)
170ish with my Wizard

There are times when I will go out to Brahan Springs here in Huntsville and just throw a Roc to keep things in gear. When you start trying to throw harder sometimes you ingrain bad habits into your throw. Fastest way to get those back out, grab a mid range and concentrate on distance with control.

Well, that's what worked and works for me. I'm no pro though, your mileage may vary.
Wow, this really helps! Thanks, Jeff!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968