www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I tried to pick up Disc Golf last year and became frustrated at my lack of progress (Frisbee-throwing alluded me as a kid, too). Eventually I ended up selling my discs for cash and haven't played since. Now I'm looking to hit the reset button and be more disciplined in learning how to play properly, rather than try to rush in to it.

That being said, I'm looking for a single beginner disc to train myself with. I am most familiar if Innova and was thinking about the Aero or Archangel. Can anyone offer advice?

Tags: Innova, advice, beginner, disc advice, help

Views: 8

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Innova Leopard is an excellent beginners disc. Go with the weight that is comfortable for you. I throw a 149g because I have a weak backhand. My sidearm is stronger so I throw heavier more overstable disc. As far as plastic the dx is cheaper but I would rather spend a few extra bucks for something that is going to last a little longer. Go to a field and practice, practice, practice. Enjoy the game. If I throw a bad drive I still try to stay positive and get a chance to practice my long approach shots. Good Luck!
Thanks Skip!
I try not to pay attention to disc brand. Maybe try a valkerie teebird or leopard. if those turn over to the right to much, try a wraith.
I'd start with a comet or stratus midrange and a putter such as an aviar or magnet. Learning to throw those first will help build a solid foundation. For a beginner's driver, I agree that leopard is a good suggestion. Find a local pro to show you proper grip and throwing form.
I second the Leopard. I am rediscovering my love of this disc, though I use it for different shots than when I started. If I were to recommend one disc, I would say a Comet. You can drive with it, but it still flies pretty much like a putter. Doesn't take a lot of power to throw straight either.
3-4 discs to start out are really what is best. From the Innova side of things -

Aviar
Roc
Leopard
Teebird

Personally I like my drivers between 170 and 172 grams and mids and putters 175ish
I second this! If you learn a Comet inside and out...you'll be deadly! Get it in the elite-X plastic in the mid 170s. Also, you NEED to get a putter, a pure putter, not a putt and approach disc...although any disc can be classified as such, but a lot of vendors will distinguish between the two. When it comes to putters it is a personal choice. The choice is figured out through a journey of trying several and not someone telling you which discs is best. People's opinions of what to try are always good, but what works for one doesn't work well for others.
If you are talking about a single do it all disc. I would look into the midrage/muti puropose discs. I'll list some of my favs', but go to the company web sites.. (Latitude 64 is a great sleeper company. Their plastic is sick!)

Here you go...
Buzzz, Hawk, Roc, Mako, Shark (no pun intended), Classic Roc, Comet (some say the best ever..ehhhh imo), Spider, Panther, Coyote, Cobra, Fuse(never tried), Core, etc.....

After looking at the list, my top two would be the Roc and Spider. Now that is MY, top two. Good luck and don't get frustrated. It takes time and patience.
i second this. except stick between 167-171g drivers to start out, move up as necessary.
I would suggest for you to buy a Discraft Comet. It is a midrange but you will have to learn how to throw to play with it. I loved it when I first started playing. It holds whatever line you put it on....which makes it a gem. Try it out. Get an X version too...the Z version actually has a little fade.
Just carry around a DX TeeBird and learn what it does. Also find someone who haas patience and is willing to give you a few pointers for driving. Relax.
I would suggest that you look at a midrange.
skeeter, Roc, Buzzz, Comet, make.

I often putt with a buzzz, clearly my favorite, however, I am starting to really love the skeeter.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968