www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

did you start playing disc golf??

Views: 4

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

unemployed and depressed last august, wasting away on the couch,.. friend took me out a few times before i realized i liked what i had been doing. that first real straight and long drive was beautiful....., so i bought a disc, and then another, and another, well.,,, you know where it goes.
I have a messed up back (the why). After time the doc just kept checking things off my fun list, but mainly. I had to give up golf. That hurt big time! One day I was up in Washington visiting friends. One said "you want to go play disc golf?" At first I thought it sounded pretty lame, but wtf, I went. I've been hooked ever since.
tried it once with a friend thinking it would be stupid back in 2001/02 and got addicted and have not stopped since!
A few years back my younger brother, Sam, and his buddies stumbled across a YouTube video by The Guardians of Recreation: a little intro to the game. They got hooked, and anytime I was out New Mexico way they'd force me to play. They'd hand me a Valkyrie and an Aviar and proceed to make a fool of me. They were the worst teachers ever, lol. After a few years of grudgingly playing twice a year and getting my butt kicked, the brother comes to visit me here in South Carolina bearing gifts, my own Valkyrie and Shark. He showed me a course that was 2 miles from my house and I started doing whatever I could to learn how to get better. I must have played 280 out of the next 365 days. I'm a full blown addict :)
It started as a way to get out with some friends, enjoy the sun, and drink some beers. That's how it went for about 4 years, and just the beginning of last year is when I really started taking it more serious, and really trying to improve my game.
stumbled upon a local course with a friend and thought WTF is this...the rest is history
In August of 1971 when I was ten my parents did a hateful thing-moved away from Mission Beach! We wound up in an apartment at the bottom of a canyon in Mission Hills. A week after moving in I saw four people with russian wolfhounds in the canyon. One at a time they stood in the same spot and threw a Frisbee into the canyon they just came from. Intrigued, I inquired as to what they were doing. "We're playing Frisbee golf, do you have a Frisbee?" I had two: a glow 119 gram fastback and a black Pro model. The rest is a history of mediocrity.
It sure was a different beast when I started out and we were using Whamo 175g. discs. The first time that I saw someone using "Disc Golf" discs I thought the guy was stupid. Who needs those. I couldn't even figure out how to throw them at first. When I got to Colorado that all changed as I found new discs and the discs that I could effectively throw. I wouldn't mind going back and playing that original object course. It's probably not the same anymore. Who knows if anyone even knows about that course anymore?
Oops...
A friend of mine asked me to play for the first time about a year and 4 months ago........ I fell in love with it ever since what a game !!! Awesome for many reasons

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968