www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

ok so i run a league and course par is 54 how do i handicap scores properly like if someone shoots +10 then do the get -10strokes for the next round how does it work?

Views: 78

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

doubles producing bad habits? Are u on drugs? Is this your first year playing disc golf? That makes no sense at all! Did u get kicked in the head by a horse rookie? LMFAO
Doubles produces bad habits like sinking 50 foot putts with a cliff behind that you would NEVER have the balls to go for in singles. Other bad habits: taking home money "Gimme mah money, bitches!"
We have run a few successful handicap leagues through DGU, it works pretty well to keep it interesting. Handicapped leagues are great, it allows new players to play with the regulars, and they learn and get better so quickly from this, handicaps go down quickly!

The only complaint is when switching courses there can be spikes, we just try to stick with one course leagues, they tend to work out better.

One thing that makes me mad is how some people have hijacked this thread to bad mouth handicapping. I will promote anything that will grow my favorite sport. I love to share my love of the game with new players, and encourage camaraderie.

Those type of people tend to be scared of change, and really don't like new players. If you don't want to take part in a league for any reason, don't. After all it's your choice.
I have seen some players Bag their Ratings , then shoot lights out in the Finals with a Great Handicap !
Appalachian Golf Writes: One thing that makes me mad is how some people have hijacked this thread to bad mouth handicapping. I will promote anything that will grow my favorite sport. I love to share my love of the game with new players, and encourage camaraderie.

Those type of people tend to be scared of change, and really don't like new players. If you don't want to take part in a league for any reason, don't. After all it's your choice.

@#$%^&()_*&^%$#@&*())(*^%$#$&*()_)(*&^%$#$%^&*()_)(*&^%$%^&*())(*&^%$#$%^&*()_)(*&^%^&*()

The fact some players don't like or have bad experiences with handicapping is useful information to someone considering running a handicap league. I have run leagues (and tournaments) with unusual (at times semi-crazy) formats. Some of them have worked and others did not. Some formats have strongly mixed responses, loved by some and hated by others.

Most league or tournament directors do not want to put in all the VOLUNTEER time it takes to put on an event only to make players unhappy.

I strongly believe in the concept of handicapping, ie... giving a weaker player some kind of advantage in order to make the competition fair but the devil is in the details. I have played in leagues which give weaker players (sometimes defined as non-Pro women and Juniors/beginners) the short tee pads when everyone else shoots longs. I play in one league now which has the "chick" rule, each female on a doubles team gets 3 strokes off their score (so if two women are paired they start off the round at 6 under par).

But you not only want to make the game fair you also do not want to discourage the attendance of good players. The presence of good players helps the long term development of weaker players. If have been guilty of creating games which gave too big a handicap and drove away the Pros. When Pros shoot well they expect to cash.
For our handicap league, we structure it so that $1 of the entry fee goes to the hot round (non-handicapped). That way whoever shot the best score hands down still takes something home even if they did not have the best handicapped score.
Oh, I have finally figured out the handicap process I need to assist the old and infirm (like me).

The scoring works this way: players are ranked based on how they score relative to par. Par, for each player is their age.
So if a 20 year old shoots 54 for 18 holes his score is 34 over par. If a 55 year old shoots 54 his score is 1 under par.

What is the chance of this format catching on?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968