www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

By that I mean someone who throws more than 1 disc into the basket. They piss me off because they slow down my group. I think if they want to practice then they should go to a practice hole.

Views: 9

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lee Stephens said:
It is funny when people walk up and I say, "why don't you guys play thru"...and they look out on this wide open hole with 100 discs laying everywhere...some long...some in the middle...some short....on the right, left and middle...it is a dizzying array of colors...and most simply walk around to the next hole. :) Would that make you mad?

No that wouldn't make me mad. You might one to keep an eye on me though cause I may pocket one of your discs. j/k :p
The question comes down to flow of play. Really slow play is frustrating. How do you get in a flow when there is no flow to the game? It's like being in a big traffic jam. I have a low tolerance for really slow play.

It is more bothersome when there is no good reason for the delay, in traffic or on the course. Dang, Buddy, learn how to merge! C'mon Lady, drive you car, don't stare at the accident on the side of the road! Now if the driver has white hair (or that bluish white color) and Coke bottle lenses in their glasses then no problem, take your time.

Accepting that tournament play is justifiably a bit more deliberate, especially in terrible weather conditions, the biggest sins of slow play are: a lack of a sense of urgency to be efficient and lack of being prepared when it is your turn. Some players have both problems, know it and do not care. When I am behind that player in a tournament or in a casual round it bothers me.

I don't care in a casual round if a group or person wants to be slow as heck or take multiple shots, so long as they offer upcoming groups the opportunity to play through. In casual play my group may be the slowest on the course (in bad enough weather maybe the only group on the course) because we actually set up to throw and follow basic courtesy rules and we are happy to let folks play through.
If they let others play through, I don't care. If the course is empty, cool. Last week, I was the only one on the course and I was working on my drives, so on many of the holes I would take multiple drives. I played the first disc each time, but I wanted to see what adjustments I could make.
No harm, no foul.
Peace
I have absolutely no problem with people throwing multiple discs out on the course. What does frustrate me is when I have to ask to play through instead of being asked if I want to. To those people who aren't courteous enough to ask, it's RUDE!!!
its only annoying when i get hit with a disc while trying to retrieve my own haha
I'll agree about playing with the opposite hand being sometimes easier than throwing forehand. I play probably more right-handed than I should (I'm left handed)...but the more I've done it, the more I've realized what a weapon that can be if you get yourself in trouble with your angles (trees and such) or have a difficult LHFH shot when a RHBH shot with the right disc will be easier to execute. I can't throw it nearly as far right-handed as I can with my left (and my left hand isn't probably within 100-150 feet of a lot of the Pros as it is, lol). However, having a RHBH shot in my bag has come in mighty handy probably once every 2-3 rounds...so it's fun to occasionally practice.
I'll only throw multiple discs if there is no one behind me and I'll always ask the group if I can throw another if I shank one. Common courtesy. I figure I'll get the most out of one round if I throw a couple.. but only in the circumstances that I listed above.
It has nothing to do with skill level at all! Its ediquete and curticy. Just as ball golf has a pace and a flow so does our sport. We do not have a starter so we have to police ourselves. I throw the whole bag when I am by myself and thats fine as long as you are aware of those behind you. The casuals that are out deserve a good time but not at others expence. I agree that we need to educate the casuals as they probley don't know any better. Then they can pass it on as well. If there is someone on the tee box pissed off then you should have let them through already. Buy your own practice basket and do it at home. Golden Gate park is a good example, last week it took me and a friend three and a half hours to finish 18 holes. It was futile to press people on but frustrating none the less.
I don't throw many 'extra' shots. I feel like I should play the hand I was dealt. If I hit a tree right off the tee box then I have to play it where it lies. This is better practice for me than just re-teeing/re-throwing. Plus it never fails that my 2nd shot will go off in the complete opposite direction & now I have to chase that disc down before I can play my next 'real' shot. Funny how my upshots have gotten better with all my crappy drives haha.
I agree with others here that you should not make extra throws if it will hold anybody up. But I'd guess 80% of my buddies will throw a 2nd shot from time to time. I don't really have a problem with that. Emptying their bag usually only happens on hole #19
Amen brother!

mark ellis said:
The question comes down to flow of play. Really slow play is frustrating. How do you get in a flow when there is no flow to the game? It's like being in a big traffic jam. I have a low tolerance for really slow play.

It is more bothersome when there is no good reason for the delay, in traffic or on the course. Dang, Buddy, learn how to merge! C'mon Lady, drive you car, don't stare at the accident on the side of the road! Now if the driver has white hair (or that bluish white color) and Coke bottle lenses in their glasses then no problem, take your time.

Accepting that tournament play is justifiably a bit more deliberate, especially in terrible weather conditions, the biggest sins of slow play are: a lack of a sense of urgency to be efficient and lack of being prepared when it is your turn. Some players have both problems, know it and do not care. When I am behind that player in a tournament or in a casual round it bothers me.

I don't care in a casual round if a group or person wants to be slow as heck or take multiple shots, so long as they offer upcoming groups the opportunity to play through. In casual play my group may be the slowest on the course (in bad enough weather maybe the only group on the course) because we actually set up to throw and follow basic courtesy rules and we are happy to let folks play through.
JJ Coutts said:
its only annoying when i get hit with a disc while trying to retrieve my own haha

I've also had this happen...with someone who compulsively putts 2 or more times. It was truly annoying. I put the disc in my bag for a few holes. :-)
Derek Tonn said:
I'll agree about playing with the opposite hand being sometimes easier than throwing forehand. I play probably more right-handed than I should (I'm left handed)...but the more I've done it, the more I've realized what a weapon that can be if you get yourself in trouble with your angles (trees and such) or have a difficult LHFH shot when a RHBH shot with the right disc will be easier to execute. I can't throw it nearly as far right-handed as I can with my left (and my left hand isn't probably within 100-150 feet of a lot of the Pros as it is, lol). However, having a RHBH shot in my bag has come in mighty handy probably once every 2-3 rounds...so it's fun to occasionally practice.

Not to rag on you specifically, but the acronyms LHFH and RHBH drive me crazy, especially when there are multiples/sentence. Isn't it a little redundant? I think we should shorten them to LB, LF, RB, and RF? Anyone care to second that opinion? Hand, Hand, Hand...I get it, you use your hands to throw.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968