www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Please excuse the lousy drawing.
I'm still learning to play, so I was just wondering how different people would play this shot.
The canopy over the tee box is about 15', and down by the basket it is about 20'.

Views: 36

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The problem, of course, is that a disc doesn't really fly the way the fairway bends. If there is an overhead line, even a tiny one then the hole could theoretically be aced and certainly parked.

It is relatively easy and straight forward to play it for a par. But on a hole that short it would be nice to have a chance to land a drive in the putting circle. The exact placement of the canopy matters. Although risky, a forehand cut roller (rhfh) can bend in that direction and if perfectly executed roll under the basket. If you try to bend around the corner with an air shot, even a lefty skip still leaves you more than a 100 feet out.

If, for example, I was playing doubles and my partner played the safe shot up the middle I would try the cut roller with a Z Crush, because that is my primary roller disc.
Sidearm spike hyzer with a firebird.
I would say that this hole is rubbish. Wrong angles for rollers and skip shots, canopy over the tee box making it impossible for the thumber over the trees. I´m guessing this hole is a par 3. All in all it´s almost impossible to make the birdie with pure skill. I hate holes that bring the factor of luck in play.

With that said I will answer your question: I would throw a Rhyno 100 feet, then the Rhyno again 125 feet and then putt my aviar in the basket for a safe and boring 3.
I'm with Mark and Eric on this one. It's not really possible to get a skip shot or conventional roller to the pin. However you play it, stay on the fairway. It's a bad hole, so don't get duped into thinking it's short, I should birdie it and then take a bogey because you caromed into the woods going for your miracle (and lucky) duece.

Is this hole by chance at Blue Ribbon Pines?
Well, depending on how it actually plays and whether there is a SOME line to the basket, I would say it is not a great hole but wouldn't label it "rubbish". This is the kind of hole that the locals may have figured out some kind of route on.

Holes which are rubbish either have no line (poke and hope) or have no scoring variance (everyone takes their boring 3 and walks on). I remember playing a hole sort of like this on a really good course in North Carolina (Hornets Nest maybe) except that the tunnels were very tight. You had to make an exacting short layup to a small landing zone then hit a precise tunnel to the basket. It was not an easy 3.

Some apparently easy holes lure you into taking undue risks and the trick of the hole becomes having the patience and restraint to settle for the par. This doesn't make the hole terrible but it doesn't make it good either. The flaw with this kind of hole is that it gives only risk, no reward.

If, in the hole drawn by Kent, there was substantial danger down by the basket (drop off past the basket, OB, very low canopy or all of the above) then it would make the hole much better because it would increase the scoring variance and the skill needed to earn a par.
BTW, I loved Blue Ribbon Pines, but there was one really bad hole and it was almost exactly the shot you are talking about.
From the pic it doesn't look like it can be parked so .....Aviar , Aviar , tap in
I'd have to go BH putter to the corner, putter upshot to the pin. Putt for 3. I'd use a putter because of the short throwing distance & the critical placement needed for this hole.
If I wanted to 'go for 2', I'd try to flick a side-arm shot down to the corner & have it fade/skip right- closer to the basket. Looks like a tough birdie hole!
Something to make the corner , if it's a mandatory , then Putt !

After viewing your picture, my choice would be to forehand a Z Nuke.
With a low, flat release, it should hook hard right after clearing the first set of trees on the right.
Finding the ground & skipping before reaching your canopy(ies).
Of course execution would be key.
If I were left-handed, I would throw a forehand roller.

Where is this course?
If it is busy, sit and watch that teepad for an hour. You will likely see more than a few lines/strategies for that one...and then you can decide which is best suited to your skills
This is hole 8 at Old City Park, Moab, Utah. And in the 12 or so times that I have played it, I have only seen four other people playing here, so crowds are not a problem. When I paly this this hole I usually try RHFH to get around the corner, but half of the time i end up in the trees because of my lack of skill. And if I do make the corner I'm usually left with about a 80-100" upshot, and with my poor putting skills, par is about all that I can ask for. That is why I posted this, trying to figure out a few diferent approach's. So thank you all for your input, it gives me a couple more options to try and learn.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968