www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I play all heavy discs just because I like the feel of a heavy putter, so I got the rest to match. I was just wondering how a lighter disc will differ from the heavy discs that I currently play and will anhyzers and hyzers behave a certain way for certain weight classes?

Just lookin for some basic info. Thanks for the help

Tags: affect, disc, fade, glide, turn, weight

Views: 945

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I read about this in depth on Scott Stokely's website (scottstokely.com I believe it is). He goes in depth about how it's all in the player, not the disc that makes what I'm about to say true...

...Anyways to make it less complicated yes heavier discs are more overstable to players then a lighter disc. Heavier discs give you more control, but less glide due to weight. As you go lighter in weight you will tend to have less control of the discs as wind will affect it and more important you little mistakes will affect the disc more.

In short I would recommend staying to the max weight stuff and just use understable or less overstable discs to achieve the straight to anny shots your looking for. Also check out the video "Fundamentals the Champions Way" and see how you'll get bigger hyzers out of less overstable discs as well (due do the disc fights the angel during flight....., short brief explanation). Unless your looking for a flat hyzer of course, where you have a low ceiling and don't have room for a big hyzer (due to trees hanging, etc). Then of course your overstable disc is better to throw flat and hyzer on it's own...

I'm sure Mark will probably hop on here and give some great advice on this subject.
So in short. A lighter disc of the same model will be a bit less stable to much less stable depending on how light you go in weight and as long as you snap it just as hard as you do your heavier discs ;).

If you snap it with less force it will still act more overstable like it's heavier weight brothers.
pretty much, but what it actully is is a lighter disc of the same mold isn't less stable, it has more high speed turn at the beginning of the flight due to the player being able to throw it faster. so a lighter one will still hyzer out at the end in the same fashion but will take longer as it is actully flying at a faster speed then a hevier one would thrown the same way.
it also may have more spin which is keeping it from hyzering out longer because the missing plastic from a lighter disc normally is missing from the flight plate causing a different weight ratio (center/edge) of the disc, which gives a lighter disc more inertia (rotational force) keeping it stable in the air longer.
Yep, exactly. When I said to make it less complicated... that was the stuff I was leaving out. The why's/technical stuff...
I used to throw all 175 and switched to 167-171 and gained a lot of control and a little distance. I can throw forehand or backhand around 420... But my accuracy improved so dramatically once I lowered weights. We have very long and highly wooded courses that accuracy is much more important than distance. I have seen this first hand on 4 friends as well. They all started out using my old 175 discs and were throwing them ok. Once they committed I bought them all discs in the 166-169 range and 3 of 4 scores dropped by ten or more in 1-3 rds. That is crazy but true.
Robey hit it on the head.

In short, lighter discs will have more glide, more high speed turn, and nearly the same fade. Just looks like less fade because of the high speed turn and when it breaks.
Lots of people say weight does lots of things....does 7 grams affect the flight of a disc? does it REALLY REALLY matter? some say it does
i personally find heavier discs slightly more over-stable..but is that cause it takes that little bit more effort to get that 7 more grams up to speed..prolly
I really like 170g drivers.. Not sure why, but they've always worked out better for me than max weight discs.

Max weight for midranges though, for sure.. I wouldn't trade my 180 Roc for anything.
I think yes,
Weight of the disc can affect the glide, fade and turn. I can't understand you why but its true.
I know I threw a new Z Avenger SS 165g on an Anhyzer the other week (RHBH, with tail wind) and that thing sailed forever... really it was my furthest drive ever. Then I tried to put it into wind on a huge hyzer (to get it straight) and the wind just flipped it over and pushed it WAY to the right... took my 173 Cruch on the same hyzer line and it held into the wind and still only cut left a bit...

I just don't feel better throwing heavier disc into the wind than lighter ones...
mass x velocity = momentum. So if you throw a 150 class disc at 60 mph it has less momentum than a max weight disc thrown at the same speed. So if anything the disc simply glides farther due to its light weight and less pull of gravity. You cannot throw a 150 class disc at a higher speed than you can a max weight.
that wasn't the weight of the disc....ss avengers are super understable..put it into a headwind...its gonna turn over on a dime

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968