www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

At the USDGC this year the TD wanted to have a rules exception that would create a putting circle around the basket 1.5 meters out. If your disc landed within this radius then you would have to mark it somewhere along the circle creating a 5 foot putt instead of a drop in the reasoning being that a drop in is not a good golf shot and you can merely drop it in even place it in without a throw, that is somehow seen as wrong anyway what an absurd idea, really dumb, anyone care to defend the new proposed rule?

Views: 29

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Do you play in the USDGC...pawel?
Nope, my skill level is not there yet. I've played Rock Hill my grilfreind actualy got an ace there and the course is great. Ideas presented at the USDGC evolve our sport to a true golf game, this I agree with. Seriously, if you need to readjust for tailwind on a 5 foot putt why are you pro. A tap-in is just that, whether in ball golf or disc golf you earned it, why change that. Keep the ideas flowing and I'll work on my game. Keep par golf in mind, open holes do not test our game 5 foot putts are a test of concentration not skill level.
First off the question was do i think its dumb.. Yes i think its dumb.. Whats the reward of having a good pull from tee or fairway just to move your disc away from where you threw it?

What do we do about holes with CTP prizes? do we eliminate these alltogether or mark those just to move away from the basket to putt?

What happens if you do throw close move away to putt then by some chance you actually miss this putt and the disc is too close do we move it away again? this seems like a time waster and could prove quite annoying to not only the other players on the card but the ppl behind you on the tee pad..

also there are many courses that ive played that have multiple basket positions do we now build this for every placement on the course and how does this affect the natural surroundings that originally brought me to this sport?

And before i get the perfunctionary did you read all this post well yes i did every post..I know this was a suggestion for just the usdgc but as they seem to be the pinnnacle of this sport i think all i have stated should be considered before it may go too the pdga as a whole..

As in any sport especially a young one the need to expand and have an even playing feild for all players is understandable
however there are good ideas and bad ones this just happens to be the latter..

Lets keep the sport alive and progressing with the attraction of new players not silly rules to put current players at odds with a sport they love..
I think that a disc should be thrown from where it lands. Why should i be penalized for a great pull. I understand the use of mandos and OBs. But I have never played a wide open course. A lot of what i am used to playing is tight in the woods looking down a 300'+ fairway lined with trees and branches overhanging everything forcing you to keep it low and it will seperate the men from the boys real fast. A lot of people Ive played with from around the country that im friends with come out to where we play and call our home courses and look and they say how the hell do you do that. I have never really been a huge huge huge fan of getting a wide open hole thats in a field because i dont feel that its a challenge unless you put a mando or OB rule on it. But dont tell me i have to move my disc back because i ended up getting a nice up shot.
I Think what is not being said here is that we cannot automatically write off every proposed rule change as "stupid" or "lame." In fact most everyone who has responded to this post has failed to recognize that it was in fact a ruling set up for an individual tournament. Kudos to Mark, not only for having an intelligent response, but also for having an open mind to change. With that being said, I would not agree with this being a permanent rule change. However, I would accept the added challenge to any tournament.
I have read the entire thread, and have a slightly different opinion.
Aces do not happen every day, but great up shots might. However, I refuse to believe that you can park a hole 300' away and not make a 5-footer. But, it seems that most people are focused on the assumed "penalty" assessed for throwing a "great" shot. For those people, I'd like to suggest you put yourself on your home course, in your mind's eye, and consider how many times in a given round your drive actually lands closer than 5' from the basket. Rarely?
Ok, lets assume now that I'm addressing one of the greats (Klimo, Feldberg, Jenkins) I could see them saying they land within 10' of every basket on their home course. So, my suggestion would actually be to make the circles bigger, maybe 20' diameter (10' on each side of the basket).
To me, this is the same thing as having a hole with a water hazard 5' from the pin - meaning, you better make your put, or take a stroke (even though the rings provide casual relief). Or courses with difficult, fast, sliding greens, it increases the degree of difficulty and makes you think a little more about your shot (which is what I think the purpose of this suggested rule was originally)
I know we all like to make great shots, but is it even a "great" shot if there is no degree of difficulty? Go to an open field and pick a tree about 300' out and see how many time you can park that shot. All of them? Most of them? Then that hole is no use to me in disc golf, since a pro and amateur could birdie the same hole. Increase the degree of difficulty by adding a couple trees off the pad, a sand trap about 50' before the pin and a lake behind and you've got a "golf" hole. My point is, I think this could be another tool course designes can use to increas the difficulty of a course that does not have a lot of foliage or water hazards or wind, etc.
I'd also actually prefer the sand trap to be OB, which would force you to account for that in your delivery/drive and lay up to the ring to make an easy 5-footer. I realize that I am probably the minority since I'd choose to make any course harder, but that is what makes a good disc golfer in my opinion.
Now, just to proove I can be as negative as everyone else: To whomever said this will discourage girls from playing... That was the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Why would you play any sport (for fun) and quit when it starts getting a little more challenging? For what it is worth, I think this would actually benefit the female players since their game is (traditionally) based more on placement and grace rather than power.
In Sumation: I think the originally suggested rule fails, but I think it is a great topic fr discussion on how that individul rule/ring can help the sport evolve to become better.
umm...the way I see it, is you threw your disk there and you earned to get a drop in. you shouldn't have to lose that foot because you got too close to the basket? That sounds rather ubserd.
"Tiger, since your ball is within a foot of the cup, you will now move it to four feet from the cup, good luck."
5 footers can be missed!!!!!
I think that is all the more reason to make someone "make" the putt
Maybe instead of bricks, a 2 or 3" diameter metal pipe about the same distance out. It might bump a few rollers into the basket.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968