www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

At the USDGC this year the TD wanted to have a rules exception that would create a putting circle around the basket 1.5 meters out. If your disc landed within this radius then you would have to mark it somewhere along the circle creating a 5 foot putt instead of a drop in the reasoning being that a drop in is not a good golf shot and you can merely drop it in even place it in without a throw, that is somehow seen as wrong anyway what an absurd idea, really dumb, anyone care to defend the new proposed rule?

Views: 28

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally, the usdgc and the pdga can do whatever they want. I have my own course where we play with no ob, no mando's, no rope, no raised baskets, no holes on the waters edge, and no junky short holes. I really think disc golf is harder to design than most of you realize. I used to disagree with John Houcks design ideas often. I was in the minority but that doesn't mean I was wrong. Look at all the courses in the Austin area and show me the championship courses. How many are there? And don't try to tell me that tree tunnels are so much fun that every hole needs to be that tight. Baseball has evolved itself into a steriod state that is rediculous. I quit watching years ago. As you say, though, its a maxim of law that sports must evolve. Read more of the history of ball golf if you want to learn how to grow a sport.
I doubt any one will disagree the sport should grow and I also believe everyone wants it to.

This rule does nothing to make the sport grow, no matter how many rights anyone has.
My baseball analogy was a joke, btw.
thats stupid
girls wont want that and that would be more of a reason for chicks not to play- i know for a fact
besides,,,
you guys need MORE chicks to make the sport popular-
amen!!
Is there currently a limit on the number of discs you can carry in your bag during a tournament? If not THAT might be a rule that needs looked into rather than this putting rule. I can't imagine new this putting rule being looked at as much more than ridiculous by an observer. People are going to compare ball and disc golf no matter what if for no other reason than name similarity.....Can you imagine the uproar if say Tiger Woods or any other top golfer skillfully hit their approach shot to within inches of the hole and then an official walked out and says......ohhhhhhh....sorry......we can't have that.....and proceeded to move the ball to a spot further AWAY from the hole??? And with comparable distancecwhat they are.....move the ball back to 15-20 feet from the hole? WOW!!! Punish 'em for being good! GREAT IDEA!! That'll even out the field! Count me in! Or maybe....at a top tourney....we can take what might be the top 6-8 "easiest" holes and just make them Par 2's.....or 3's.....or whatever is 1 stroke UNDER their current rating.
First of all we should clear up that this isn't an across board rule change....this was an rule exemption requested for a specific tournament.

It's a buncr with casual relief allowing some further latitude...i.e. your relief lie could be anywhere just outside the circle..option of moving to a tail wind putt if you wanted to.

Land in the 3m circle take a stance outside the circle 1.5m or approx 5 feet from the pole...the logic is forcing the player to somewhat propel the disc into the entrapment device....A 5 footer measured from the pole is pretty much still a gimme.

....and proposed for, I believe, only 1 hole...hole 12....as pictured in the OP....correct me if I'm wrong.
Innova wanted the rule variance for all holes. But they had already made the nice circle pictured because hole 12 was on a slope. I suspect the other two elevated pins might already have had bases the proposed diameter.
Thanks Chuck....I wasn't sure.
Why would they want to penalize a good shot? Sure sometimes "lucky" shots get parked right under the basket, but I think that a person depending on luck would find it hard to keep it up for an entire round. I can see this "rule" only possibly for certain holes, to add difficulty, like some holes have mandos or OB, hanging baskets. Across the board, heck no for this rule, certain holes, maybe.

The idea of limiting the number of discs you can carry in a tourney is interesting. Instead of depending on a certain disc for a certain shot, depend on your skill with a disc for a variety of shots.
that is so stupid what kind of crap are they trying to pull
How about a special insert that would reduce the baskets diameter ? Like a plastic donut that would attach to the top edge of the basket rim. That way after the event you remove the insert for normal play.
I think that it would not affect my game, i can never get within 5 feet anyway.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968