www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I've been playing about 4 months now and I can't find a use for my midrange. I throw a putter under 200ft, lat64 XXX under 350, a star boss and a pro destroyer over 350 depending on the shot. What distance do you usually pull out the mid?

Views: 139

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Have you tried a Drone, Whippet X or Gator? pretty overstable.
I <3 my Glow Rocs for anything at or around 300'.

It's the lack of skip at the end, and the lack of flip room needed to make it down the fairway in a straight line that make the mids more reliable. They're really good for upshots in the wind, too.

If you've never played a tight course, you wouldn't even know that you need a midrange. If there's enough play in the fairway, you can be just as reliable with a driver most likely.
yeah, i currentlly use a worlds Z drone and it works good but there are huge corners on my home course where a boss still doesnt turn the corner all the way.
I think that's the main problem. I haven't played a course that requires a midrange yet. There's only one thght course out here and I use my 150 valk sometimes for straight shots. But even then I use my XXX because I can keep it low and dodge trees.
I prefer the rim of my roc to a putter or driver...soo, I tend to throw a roc 200-320 ft. A beat in roc flies exactly like a putter...dead straight start to finish. Sometimes I'll throw a roc less than 200 ft if the ceiling of the shot is low as you have to throw putters higher typically. Often I'll power up a roc rather than ease off of my fairway drivers, but that's a preference. I think that's the beauty of a mid. It will fly on the same straight line over a wide range of distances, whereas drivers are more speed sensitive in their flight patterns.
So my advice is to experiment with mids and find one that you can throw dead straight, you'll be rewarded when you play other courses.
if you throw a whippet x flat, it will bend at least twenty five feet left on a RHBH over the course of 200 feet. if you throw it with a hyzer, there is no telling how far left it will go, but it is so overstable that there is no corner that it can't get around.

also, the skip or double skip at the end will give it probably another 20 to 30 feet of movement to the left on RHBH
Lately (assuming no wind and a reasonably flat, straight shot) I'll reach for a Aviar X for a shot under 250-270, go for a Buzzz up to 310, get my TL when my Buzzz is a little too short, and a Wraith or Destroyer after that.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968