www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

My son is going to be six in May.  He is suddenly all about disc golf.  I am going to give him a chance to come to the course a few times with me to really get a feel for the interest level.  He can throw about 100 ft forehand on a good throw.  He can throw 150+ ft rollers at times.  He is learning to turn a disc over so it's not too stable.

I am curious how young he can be and effectively go to a junior tournament and have fun, mostly because I think he would find it more fun to play with other kids... rather than his old man... :)

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Im 15 and started playing when I was 10, I started playing in under 13 after 2 years of playing. I had alot of fun. Hopefully he stays hooked like I did.
We have a league near my house called under age drivers. It eighth grade and under and i guess its really cool. Im a too old for but am still playing juniors but should definetly move up. Anyway i think its anything 16 and under so he should be able to play juniors.
Thats awsome I started playing when I was five and I had a blast. There is special events for kids called the little flyers clup not sure where they play buy ran into one last year in Florida, but I have mini's from them when I played in Indiana as a kid. Also if you didn't already know they sell extra light disc for kids. I know Innova and lightning do it, so I assume others do as well. Good job Man, thats one more Disc golfers, how many more till we get our own hour on ESPN
I began bringing my son out to the course when he was 8 years old. At first he played some, but was mostly interested in nature while out doors. Chasing lizards was too enticing for him. But I always let him make the call if he wanted to play disc golf or hunt critters. After awhile he began to play entire rounds with me and sometimes a friend or two. By the time he was 12 he played his first PDGA tournament as a 16 and under junior. He played in that division from the time he was 12 until he got good enough to move up to the Int. at 16. He is 18 now and is playing in the upper level of Advanced and plays Pro in our local non-sanctioned series. I think playing in Juniors is a great way to get them ready for the bigger events. As long as he has some interest he will do fine and learn new thing about disc golf. Six is a bit young, but it really depends on your son's attitude. If he is the kind of kid who can last through several rounds of golf without losing it, he will be fine. My son was 12 in his first event because I waited until I thought he was ready for a four round two day event. But I have seen younger kids play in the same events. If they have junior specific events in your area I would give it a shot for sure. Events like that are planned around having younger kids involved.
Most of the juniors that I see actually playing tournaments are around 10 but keep him coming out and get ready for a tourney. Some of the first Juniors I saw a few years ago are around 13 now and give me a run for my money.
the groups that i no of r 10-12, 13-16, 17-19 but i dont think 6 can play
it shouldn't matter how old you are if you can throw a disc and hold your own during a round you should be able to compete, I ve seen some pretty young kids out there playing.
A 6 year old technically can play in any Junior Division. They are all set up with an upward age cap and below. For example the divisions are Youth I, Junior II,II, IV all of which have a birthday cutoff of a particular year or later. Youth I is 1991 or later which my 18 yr old is eligible for. But he could not play in the 1994 or later division. The current youngest age of Junior IV is year 2000 or later . So technically a child can play as soon as they are able to handle the game and an event. A player who is born later than 2000 an play in any of the higher Junior divisions. This happens all the time due to the small amount of Jr's at an event. But ultimately, it would be up to the TD to allow a 6 year old to play with older children based on the child's ability and the situation.
kids age 4 or 5 play in organized leagues of soccer and football and T-ball.. right? so why not?
The answer is yes he can play, but as a general rule there needs to be adult supervision of his group either an adult spectator or player that is willing to play on his card.
Being unborn is as junior as you can get.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968