www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

How long should a disc last? I find they don't perform as well as the plastic hardens with age.

How long should a disc last? I find they don't perform as well as the plastic hardens with age.

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I find that hard to believe.

Will ! said:
Kc plastic Lasts FOREVER along with star and champion but mostly KC is the most durable i have found
A good disc will last until you lose it or break it. I like them better the more I throw them and the older they get. I have never noticed a disc getting harder but the old D or Dx plastic does get more brittle with age. The newer candy plastic will last longer than your next girlfriend. Maybe by a factor of ten.

The theory that I still have my putters from years ago is an urban myth. Back in the day I was one of the worst putters to ever play the game. After a bad tournament I was known to take my putters and throw them into the pond. So all my old putters, through no fault of their own (purely operator error) are no longer with us. Too bad, I threw away some great old Magnets.

These days I like really broken in Rattlers or pretty fresh Magnets for putting (one overstable, one straight, depending on the putt).
Depends on skill level and the course you're playing. If the terrain is rocky or lots of pavement around they can get beat up super fast. If you like to crank 'em off trees and buildings, they can get beat up pretty quick too. This really goes without saying, I guess. The old CE is probably THE Most durable i've ever used, with Star and Champion not too far behind. A disc should most likely last you a whole season if you don't lose it first. Yet again that also depends on how many rounds you throw in a given period.
As a general rule, if you can avoid skipping them off of sidewalks and blacktop surfaces your discs will be around much longer. Trees really don't hurt them nearly as bad in my opinion. And by all means Do Not let them get run over by any vehicle!! From my own experience, this is probably the fastest way to age an otherwise youthful disc. Hope that helps. :)
"The newer candy plastic will last longer than your next girlfriend. Maybe by a factor of ten."

Mr. Ellis, a wizard with words you are. Hilarious!
I actually perfer having 1 beat dx roc along with a newer one just to have two flight paths for upshots and such. I also like my beat champion orc for the long low flat striaght shot. I once had a pat pending (cream dream) aviar until someone took it off the wall and power gripped it......they punched their thumb right through it. Old dx plastic will tend to become brittle. Also dont hang your old dx discs on the wall if smokers are around alot. this will leave a nicotine residue on them making them brittle as well.. most of the new plastic is indestructable in my book....unless its -10 degrees out .
Trust me even at -10*F new plastic is still indestructable.
I broke a brend new z wasp yes I said a z wasp in 25* weather last year I hit a tree broke it in 3 pices it just depends on how you treat them and what you hit

Mike said:
Trust me even at -10*F new plastic is still indestructable.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968