www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I carry 12 discs in my "Crunch Box" at the local 9-hole course. When I go to  courses further out, I carry 25+ in my Latitude bag. When I play, I only throw 6-8 of the discs routinely. I like to be prepared, but my obsession is getting ridiculous carrying more than I need. I have a total of 42 discs and I rigged up a jogging stroller to carry them all. I like having them with me, just in case.

I want to cut back and wondering what others are doing about carrying too many discs.

I figure 6 drivers, 4 mid-range, and 2 putters should be plenty for any situation.

Thoughts?

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just make sure you aren't giving yourself too many choices.

I prefer the very few models, all broken in differently approach. With a couple off models for special situations. 

My back will tell me when I'm carrying too many discs! And it won't be nice about it! It will punish me in the most excruciating ways. Over an extended period of time (i.e. long after the round is over). So I have to respect the back. I carry only the essential discs, no more, no less.
I go around 18 to 22 discs. It just depends on the wind and course. Oh, I also carry 1 or 2 "I don't care if I loose it" discs. Do I use them all for a single round? The answer is no, but have they all been used at one point during a weekend or playing several courses throughout the day......YES. It comes down to feeling comfortable and being prepared "mentally" in my opinion. I say this for me, because I've cought myself during some rounds when I was trying to reduce the amount of discs that I carried "I sure hope I don't need to use that disc I left out". So that's one less thing to worry about and I can focus more on the task at hand.

One thought, for the O.P. and anyone else who may care, is WHY carry more than the basic discs?

I'd call the basic discs something like 4 drivers (very overstable, slightly overstable, slightly understable, very understable), 2 midranges (overstable, understable) and 1 putter.

If the reason is to improve your score---I doubt than any additional discs make a significant difference in a player's average score.  It sure feels like it when you pull out one of the less-used, specific-situation discs and pull of a great shot.  But I'd bet if you played half the time with a basic lineup, have the time with 22 discs, and kept your scores, you'd see very little total difference.  (One year I played half my rounds at a local course with 1 or 2 discs, half with my bag of a dozen.  I averaged 1/6 stroke better with the full bag.  Admittedly, it's a course that lends itself to playing with few discs).

But if your reason for carrying more discs is anything else, I say go for it.  Carry more to have backups if you lose one....or to throw multiple shots on each hole....or to have that specialty disc for the cut-roller-out-of-trouble you use once a month....or just because you enjoy throwing different discs!

12 is my Majic #. 5 Drivers, 4 Mids, 3 Putters.  Seems to take care of almost every shot I could possibly need to throw.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968