www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have always thrown a heavier disc, 174 or 175, because it felt more natural to me. Does shaving a few grams off add more distance, to drives especially, what else might it cause (faster or slower turnover etc)?

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I also like the heavy discs, but this year I was experimenting with lighter weights down to 165. I now have a 168 Star Destroyer, and a 168 ESP Force in my bag along with some heavier counterparts. I like the lighter discs because they will flip easier for me than the heavier disc, and adding a little distance. The heavier disc are great for big hyzer shots with a lot of D and windy days when I want a consistant fade.
I would agree the the lighter you go the more "flip" you'll get. Personally I carry 2 of each driver in my bag max light and max heavy. Pending on the temp and wind is what I'll throw. mainly on drivers tho.. when it comes to mid's I carry mostly max weights.. Only cause I really dont need them to flip.
I usually stick to a heavier disc as well, I agree it does feel more natural. That being said a friend and I decided to throw for distance using all of the discs in our bags. After the first round we traded out a few, he had a few I wanted to try and vice versa. He usually throw a bit lighter disc than I do. I found, that at least on this day all of my shots landed within 30 feet of each other, regardless of what disc/weight I was using. As a result I picked up a few lighter discs. I still tend to go with the heavier ones, but depending on the hole or how bad my lie is I'll try a lighter disc. If it's pretty wide open I'll go with a the lighter disc, because I still don't feel like I have the control I need with these discs. But for me it just comes down to personal preference more than anything else.
The "Force = Mass * Acceleration" works well for projectiles, but it doesn't take gravity into consideration, nor does it include the effect of lift on a moving wing. Yes, if you can throw a 175g disc with the same armspeed as a 150g disc the 175g disc will hit the tree 5 feet off the teepad with more force than the 150g disc, but it may not fly farther.

My armspeed has gotten slower as I have aged, so I found that I wasn't getting an optimum flight with heavier and/or overstable discs. If I throw a 170g-ish driver (Destroyer, Wriath, Avenger, etc) it fades off to the left (RHBH) pretty quickly - I can't get the disc fast enough to generate enough lift so it can glide. I now throw all lower weight drivers (150-162g) and get considerably more distance on my drives, in most conditions. If you find that most of your drives with heavier discs fade earlier than your playing partners, you may be in the market for lighter plastic. Additionally - if you have a hard time flipping a disc or getting anhyzer shots to stay anhyzer you may also be in need of lighter plastic. I see a lot of newer players letting their egos get the better of them, thinking that to "be a man" you have to throw max weight high-speed drivers. I enjoy beating them with my light plastic.

You will find that lighter discs of a particular model will flip or turn over faster than a heavier disc, and this can be a GOOD thing (not all golf holes bend to the left, do they?). Also, lighter discs will glide or carry farther when thrown downwind, compared to their heavier counterparts (the world distance record was set with a 160-165g-ish Valkyrie, thrown slightly downwind).

What you will find, however, is that lighter discs require more precise control than heavier discs. If you throw a light disc with poor form you will probably make bigger mistakes. I think that's a good thing - it forces me to throw consistently with sound form. Light discs will also fly farther and more preciely (even in the wind) if you put a lot of spin on them. Remember - spin is not necessarily the same thing as snap. More spin means more gyroscopic stability, which makes your properly-thrown light disc fly farther and on a tighter line.

Try some lighter discs out in an open field, but be sure to adjust your release angle (more hyzer) because they will fly differently.
Right on, very informative, i think come spring i will lighten up some andd see how it goes! TY
I agree with what every one has said about a light disc flips quicker, but I also found that a light disc flies much further with a tail wind.
Actually I think you have it backwards if Force is constant increasing mass will reduce acceleration.
I have heard that lighter discs will technically fly farther because they will complete the "S" turns better. I tend to go with my 168 Avenger unless there's wind comming at me then I reach for my 173 Flash or something heavier.
I have both weights in my bag for different situations !!!! 175 gram Drivers and 168 gram Drivers !!!!
Experiment if you can to see what works best for you !!!! Almost difficult to say what is always best in every situation !!!!
I don't get discs based on weight. I couldn't tell you ONE weight of my discs. It doesn't matter to me. The variance in runs dictate the stability and if it's strong it's strong. You should release yourself from being a slave to weights and throw discs and see what works.
I couldn't agree more. Ever since Mark Ellis replied to a discussion I started and said weight was not nearly as noticable as color and that 4 grams either direction was basically undetectable I have found him to be right. I don't really even look at the weight anymore (except midranges and putters, I like to max weight my midranges but thats about a ten gram difference from the average weight of the disc). Screw a gram here or there it just doesn't really make a difference physically, only in your head IMO.

Eirik said:
I don't get discs based on weight. I couldn't tell you ONE weight of my discs. It doesn't matter to me. The variance in runs dictate the stability and if it's strong it's strong. You should release yourself from being a slave to weights and throw discs and see what works.
Being that I know my Grams well, I do find and believe both weight and color make the best choice The difference between 175 grams and 160 grams is 15 grams there are 28 grams in an ounce so thats a half and ounce that is somewhat of a good difference even to 168 compared to 175 is a quarter ounce. A ounce is more weight than you think and halves and quarters of an ounce could make a good deal of difference.

But of course depending on color and shape of the disc that is a bigger difference but weight is still a big difference. Domier Discs will glide more and flip more and Flatter ones will be more overstable and not flip as as easy. I suggest you take both into consideration when choosing discs. Think about it next time your buying discs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968