www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

I have always thrown a heavier disc, 174 or 175, because it felt more natural to me. Does shaving a few grams off add more distance, to drives especially, what else might it cause (faster or slower turnover etc)?

Views: 32

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i cant throw a 150 flick any further than a surge, so i dont bother worrying about it. i feel more confident in heavier discs though.
think about how fluffy weed is. even cheap stuff is one of the lightest forms of matter i've ever seen. its because its so dried out but that's a side point. as i'm sure you know very well, a nickel weight 5.0 grams. a nickel-sized piece of disc plastic would probably weight about twice that i'm guessing. just food for thought (now don't start getting hungry).

Steve said:
Being that I know my Grams well, I do find and believe both weight and color make the best choice The difference between 175 grams and 160 grams is 15 grams there are 28 grams in an ounce so thats a half and ounce that is somewhat of a good difference even to 168 compared to 175 is a quarter ounce. A ounce is more weight than you think and halves and quarters of an ounce could make a good deal of difference.
But of course depending on color and shape of the disc that is a bigger difference but weight is still a big difference. Domier Discs will glide more and flip more and Flatter ones will be more overstable and not flip as as easy. I suggest you take both into consideration when choosing discs. Think about it next time your buying discs.
Hold a quarter ounce it has weight to it. Hold a half ounce it has weight to it. Now its not going to weigh anything down alot, but it probably would make a good difference it flippieness.

Blaze said:
think about how fluffy weed is. even cheap stuff is one of the lightest forms of matter i've ever seen. its because its so dried out but that's a side point. as i'm sure you know very well, a nickel weight 5.0 grams. a nickel-sized piece of disc plastic would probably weight about twice that i'm guessing. just food for thought (now don't start getting hungry).

Steve said:
Being that I know my Grams well, I do find and believe both weight and color make the best choice The difference between 175 grams and 160 grams is 15 grams there are 28 grams in an ounce so thats a half and ounce that is somewhat of a good difference even to 168 compared to 175 is a quarter ounce. A ounce is more weight than you think and halves and quarters of an ounce could make a good deal of difference.
But of course depending on color and shape of the disc that is a bigger difference but weight is still a big difference. Domier Discs will glide more and flip more and Flatter ones will be more overstable and not flip as as easy. I suggest you take both into consideration when choosing discs. Think about it next time your buying discs.
A lot of my disc are represented in my bag the same way as Donny's not something that I planned but it has worked out that way just because I tended to use them in different situations.

Donny Olow said:
I have both weights in my bag for different situations !!!! 175 gram Drivers and 168 gram Drivers !!!!
Experiment if you can to see what works best for you !!!! Almost difficult to say what is always best in every situation !!!!
i know, weight does make a difference that's undeniable. but i just don't think 3 grams up or down makes a very noticeable difference.

Steve said:
Hold a quarter ounce it has weight to it. Hold a half ounce it has weight to it. Now its not going to weigh anything down alot, but it probably would make a good difference it flippieness.

Blaze said:

Steve said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968