www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Via tournaments? I'm thinking about quitting my day job.

Views: 13348

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What spectators at Worlds? Take out the Ams and Pro players waiting around for awards, course volunteers during the week and their posses and there were few there at the Finals last year that came from the area just for spectating.
i'd LOVE to quit my day job to disc golf for a living. so would almost everyone else on this site. but even if you made double what the top pros make unless you're like the new tiger woods of disc golf, you can't stay in your prime forever, so you have 10 years as a top pro under your belt and then you have to go find an entry level job somewhere. if disc golf "breaks through" and becomes mainstream then great, but if not the subculture we have is awesome and i'm proud to call myself a disc golfer.
thanks sean, you are always so positive.

Blaze said:
i'd LOVE to quit my day job to disc golf for a living. so would almost everyone else on this site. but even if you made double what the top pros make unless you're like the new tiger woods of disc golf, you can't stay in your prime forever, so you have 10 years as a top pro under your belt and then you have to go find an entry level job somewhere. if disc golf "breaks through" and becomes mainstream then great, but if not the subculture we have is awesome and i'm proud to call myself a disc golfer.
Samuel Adam Sherwood said:
Ya not to mention its not cheap getting to an event and then room and board when there.

Maybe there is something “we” (as a community of Disc Golfers) can do to help out with this issue. With a website like DiscgolfersRus, we could organize a network of “surrogate” homes for traveling PDGA Professionals. The concept would include organizing a database of surrogate homes, offered by disc golf enthusiasts living near National Tour event locations, where participating PDGA professionals can stay (couch bed, extra room, floor pillows, etc…) for free when touring to that event. The database would simply include contact and general location info for folks willing to let a Pro or two stay the night while in town for the big event. The Pro would simply call the perspective homeowner to make arrangements if the space was available. I would be happy to provide a touring Pro with a roof and some eats if I lived close to a NT event – but, maybe that’s just me?
A thought: Once big money comes into the sport, the top players may quickly NOT be the top players of now.

Story: A few years ago a local guy my age Dave Messner, who was principal of Dexter High School, had his son - home from Stanford for the summer - join us for some disc golf at Hudson Mills. We played the original. His son was better than him about 9 holes in, despite not having played before, and I think that in a second round he might have beaten me. His son was a varsity swimmer for Stanford and just missed the last spot on the US Swimming Team in the last Olympics.

So, maybe once some of the very serious "natural" athletes out there (and we may already have a few, I don't know) turn their attention to disc golf, which they will when the money comes, the competitive game could get yet another elevation beyond what it's become as a result of the PDGA National Tour.
I don't know much about the PDGA, other than they are The Professional Disc Golf Association, but IMO their number one priority should be to promote disc golf. In other words, get out there, wherever that is and promote the s... out of disc golf !!! The big sponsers like Pepsi, Nike, coke, etc..., don't even know what disc golf is for crying out loud. Come on, hire more people, print more flyers,knock on doors... that's right ,knock on doors, hand out free discs, have free clinics, have exibitions on throwing, go to schools and introduce the sport to the young kids, go to tv stations and do a vidio for them to play, Man if I can think of some of this stuff, imanage what someone who lives / breaths disc golf can do.ZMAN
Be careful what you wish for. With big pro money comes fancier courses for the people who want a perfect experience everytime, fees to play, Golf disc cost goes from $8-$20 for basic stuff, dress codes (I kid you not), and did I mention stiff course fees. Soon the free courses would be so crowded that playing wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Ball Golf was a people's game until the pro game came in...now it's impossible to find a place to play that isn't either crowded or sick expensive.

I admit that the best players are pretty impressive, but I'm an ex ball golfer and multi sport athlete and I'm shooting scores around 5-6 over after less than a month of playing. That's on a very tight, wooded, technical course. I need to get longer off the tee for some of the long, wide open courses, but that will come with time. There is an egalitarian and terrific side to Disc Golf in that the skills needed to play pretty well are available to almost anybody willing to learn. I'm not sure that anything but extreme length would work to truly put a big gap between the pros and top Ams.

Not everything in the world allows people to make a living...maybe this is one of those great things where it doesn't matter.

Z
zensuit said:
Be careful what you wish for. With big pro money comes fancier courses for the people who want a perfect experience everytime, fees to play, Golf disc cost goes from $8-$20 for basic stuff, dress codes (I kid you not), and did I mention stiff course fees. Soon the free courses would be so crowded that playing wouldn't be worth the trouble.

Ball Golf was a people's game until the pro game came in...now it's impossible to find a place to play that isn't either crowded or sick expensive.

I admit that the best players are pretty impressive, but I'm an ex ball golfer and multi sport athlete and I'm shooting scores around 5-6 over after less than a month of playing. That's on a very tight, wooded, technical course. I need to get longer off the tee for some of the long, wide open courses, but that will come with time. There is an egalitarian and terrific side to Disc Golf in that the skills needed to play pretty well are available to almost anybody willing to learn. I'm not sure that anything but extreme length would work to truly put a big gap between the pros and top Ams.

Not everything in the world allows people to make a living...maybe this is one of those great things where it doesn't matter.

Z
My bad zensuit, hit the wrong button, you're double posted, ZMAN.
what about this? if the sport keeps growing , and your able to present solid #'s with the facts to back it up. why couldn't we convince a broader range of sponsors just based on participation and not spectators? I mean.. if you can say... ok....
(and I'm going to use an unrealistic example, just as an example ) there are 10,000 college football players around the country, and 20 million fans overall watch those games in person or on TV each season.
now say we had 21 million people playing disc golf, then the sponsors would come.. no?

and I know.. ridiculous analogy, but I'm just wondering if presenting the overall # of players and how often they play year round would be a better tactic than just looking at it from a # of spectators issue.

and heck, we could even have the PDGA do a demographics study to show that we all do things like buy cars, buy clothes , pay for food and drink just like everyone else!! haha :)
The PDGA does have demographic data that's been available online for years. And it's fairly high income. However, participation figures are irrelevant if you can't effectively get the sponsor's message to them. The PDGA magazine only has a 15,000 circulation which is peanuts in terms of how much you can get from an advertiser. And the new PDGA site does have non-disc golf ads wrapped around it and the PDGA gets a percentage of that to offset website development costs.
interesting. thanks Chuck.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Prodigy Fairway Drivers

Posted by Alan Barker on July 8, 2013 at 5:30pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968