www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Via tournaments? I'm thinking about quitting my day job.

Views: 14363

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Like I said, get out there and knock on doors,free discs,clinics, videos,etc.......
Surprisingly, organizations are created first to serve the members, with any extra income available for broader objectives. The PDGA barely takes in enough to serve member needs and requests. And if you listen to members the PDGA doesn't even do enough of that. So, don't expect efforts like you're asking for from national staffers. The best they can do is coordinate efforts by those who volunteer to do them locally or do it on a commission basis. Several of the manufacturers are doing more of the things you're suggesting because they have the resources and the financial interest in doing so.
Thank you for the info Chuck.
Don't get me wrong, your ideas and enthusiasm are great. It's just that we all have to pitch in to help do the things we personally think will advance the sport and get some coordinating help from the PDGA where possible.
Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun said:
A thought: Once big money comes into the sport, the top players may quickly NOT be the top players of now.

Story: A few years ago a local guy my age Dave Messner, who was principal of Dexter High School, had his son - home from Stanford for the summer - join us for some disc golf at Hudson Mills. We played the original. His son was better than him about 9 holes in, despite not having played before, and I think that in a second round he might have beaten me. His son was a varsity swimmer for Stanford and just missed the last spot on the US Swimming Team in the last Olympics.

So, maybe once some of the very serious "natural" athletes out there (and we may already have a few, I don't know) turn their attention to disc golf, which they will when the money comes, the competitive game could get yet another elevation beyond what it's become as a result of the PDGA National Tour.

Reminds me of sometime in the late '90's when we had Kirk Gibson and a couple of other sports celebs out to play a few holes for their TV show (agains Gunars and Mike Raley). Gibby in particular was quick to pick up the whole idea, parking # 8 Original if memory serves me correctly. I got the feeling he'd be able to play just about anything well. He was talking about getting a course installed on some of his own property...

Anyway, your point is well taken. If there were to be pots of gold at the end of tournaments, a different set of folks might be competing.

Joe
Todd Mitchell said:
Bottom line - if you can't beat Avery, Dave, Ken, Steve, Nate, Barry, Eric, Jesper, etc. you won't be able to make a living at this game for sure.

I think I could take them. For I am an up in coming talent.
James Brown said:
Todd Mitchell said:
Bottom line - if you can't beat Avery, Dave, Ken, Steve, Nate, Barry, Eric, Jesper, etc. you won't be able to make a living at this game for sure.

I think I could take them. For I am an up in coming talent.

aaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahaha that even funnier then the original topic!
Your right Chuck, we all have to promote disc golf in some ways. One way I do is to leave a new disc on the first tee sometimes with a message on the back that reads, " To promote disc golf, use it or pass it on "ZMAN.
Dont quit your day job until you see a letter from nike in the mail wanting you to sign endorsements! I see somebody wrote Avery made $31,940 last year! try to figure out how much he spent on travels, food, gas, etc... cost of tourneys his sponsor probably pays that ish! but you know what I am saying, not to mention good luck beating him he is a beast!
TheZman said:
Your right Chuck, we all have to promote disc golf in some ways. One way I do is to leave a new disc on the first tee sometimes with a message on the back that reads, " To promote disc golf, use it or pass it on "ZMAN.
Friggin' cool!

Z
Pat Burke said:
Dont quit your day job until you see a letter from nike in the mail wanting you to sign endorsements! I see somebody wrote Avery made $31,940 last year! try to figure out how much he spent on travels, food, gas, etc... cost of tourneys his sponsor probably pays that ish! but you know what I am saying, not to mention good luck beating him he is a beast!

im willing to bet that sponsers pay for most of that, if not all.
Lotto said:
Pat Burke said:

im willing to bet that sponsers pay for most of that, if not all.

Avery gets his entries covered and gets all kinds of goodies from Huk Lab and Innova but I am pretty sure he and Val still have to cvover their gas when they are in the RV. Oh and there are only maybe 6-7 players who actually get entries paid and that just started happening recently.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

2014 ACE RACE PLAYER PACKS ?

Posted by James Banevicz on November 23, 2014 at 4:41pm

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968