www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Just watched a video of Nate Doss talking about keeping your bag simple. How much plastic is too much?

Here's what I carry:

Drivers:
1 Excalibur Headwind distance and big hyzers.
2 Wraiths Normal condition/tailwind distance.
1 new Predator. Headwind control driver and control hyzers.
2 TeeBirds. Everything driver. One stable, one kinda beat.
1 Beat Orc. Former main driver is now my headwind roller.
1 Monarch Distance roller, long turnovers.
1 beat XS. Strong tailwind roller, controlled turnovers.
1 Flick exclusively for thumbers since I like keeping my Pred stable.

Midrange:
1 Champion Shark. Stable midrange.
1 Beat Glow Roc Turnover midrange--soon to be replaced by DX Shark.

Putters:
1 soft Wizard--main putter
1 glow Wizard holds a turnover better.

I also want to replace the champion Rhyno that I lost and add an overstable midrange--discraft needs to release an ESP drone : ) I have also been toying with the idea of adding a fairway driver like a TL, Leopard, Impact, or XL. I'd probably still be carrying a Rhyno and XL If I hadn't lost them this summer. Both were ace discs : (

It seems like I'm carrying a lot of different molds, but taking anything out of my bag seems to leave a hole in my repertoire of shots.

What do you guys (and gals) think? What do you throw, and how do you find a balance between keeping it simple and having a disc for every shot?

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ive played a couple of rounds before with one disc, once with an ESP Meteor and once with an ESP Zone and i think i played +1or even with both, which is my normal score using all my discs! that from the am tees though.

i used to think like J.W.I. when i began, i had discs with every stability from -1 to +2.5 in drivers and midranges so i could just throw and let the disc do the work, but recently (since i played those rounds with one disc) i realised that you can make almost any disc do what you want it too, for example, at my home course, hole 18 is a short dogleg left, and i ussually try to throw an over stable disc flat and let it turn by itself, but now i use a Discraft express which is really understable. if i throw it lightly on a hyzer it holds it good and i park it everytime for a birdie.

try all your discs for all your shots, i was suprised on what worked better than how i thought.
Atleast 1 driver , 1 midrange and 1 putter !!!!
I carry way to many (22) but throw only 6 to 8 regularly. All of them are dyed. The better question would be, how many different molds do you carry?
TeeBird , JK Aviar , Roc , Destroyer , Viking , Squall
J.W.I. said:
Friendly Practice = 13.
Competetion = 23.

Why? I like to use the same motion every time I throw? Lots of discs allows me to do that and yet achieve different results than if I had fewer discs. Can I make disc XYZ hyzer this way or anhyzer that way? Probably. But why should I when discs ABC and 123 will do it for me? I'm still learning, but this seems to work well for me.

I'm kind of the same way. This spring I tried whittling my bag down to

1 orc
1 pred
1 beat pred
1 Shark
1 Wizard

I very quickly started adding discs back into my bag because I got tired of trying to force my discs onto lines they didn't want to hold.
It depends whether I am carrying the discs or if I have a caddy. If I have a caddy, how strong is my caddy?
mark ellis said:
It depends whether I am carrying the discs or if I have a caddy. If I have a caddy, how strong is my caddy?

Great answer Mark best one yet :))
Drivers

1 First run xcal
1 beat SB orc
3 wraiths 2 champ 1 pro
1 champ roadrunner
1 champ monarch
1 champ destroyer
1 champ boss
1 FLX pred
1 champ teerex-x

Mids

2 rocs 1 dx 1 champ
1 stingray
2 dx cobras 1 beat 1 new
1 dx cro

Putters

2 aviars dx 1 175 small bead 1 168 classic
Matt Sink said:
I carry way to many (22) but throw only 6 to 8 regularly. All of them are dyed. The better question would be, how many different molds do you carry?

Yeah, that's kind of what I meant. My problem is that I like throwing new preds, but would rather throw
TeeBirds than my beat-in Preds. I love my beat XS for tailwind rollers but don't really like new ones. I like approaching with Rhynos but would rather putt with Wizards. I roll with a beat up Orc and a Monarch, but throw Wraths for distance. So I end up with all these different molds in my bag and don't really cycle through anything.
joshlotto said:
ive played a couple of rounds before with one disc, once with an ESP Meteor and once with an ESP Zone and i think i played +1or even with both, which is my normal score using all my discs! that from the am tees though.

i used to think like J.W.I. when i began, i had discs with every stability from -1 to +2.5 in drivers and midranges so i could just throw and let the disc do the work, but recently (since i played those rounds with one disc) i realised that you can make almost any disc do what you want it too, for example, at my home course, hole 18 is a short dogleg left, and i ussually try to throw an over stable disc flat and let it turn by itself, but now i use a Discraft express which is really understable. if i throw it lightly on a hyzer it holds it good and i park it everytime for a birdie.

try all your discs for all your shots, i was suprised on what worked better than how i thought.

I have a difficult time throwing distance drivers at low power due to the way I grip them. Maybe I need to work on a control grip--but it just doesn't feel natural. I can make my Sharks and Rocs do just about anything inside about 325' but I'm more likely to shank stuff near full power. If I'm looking at a 300' tunnel shot, my thought process is usually something like "I could probably put my shark down there, but I might shank it off line because I'll have to throw it hard. My TeeBird will probably fade too much at the end. Man.. I wish I still had that Leopard in my bag."
Thanks for all the responses!
Do your part to help a bad economy. Buy one of each, find the discs you like and buy multiples. Don't forget to get a newer bigger bag too!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968