www.DiscGolfersR.Us

The Community of Disc Golfers and About All Things Disc Golf

Just watched a video of Nate Doss talking about keeping your bag simple. How much plastic is too much?

Here's what I carry:

Drivers:
1 Excalibur Headwind distance and big hyzers.
2 Wraiths Normal condition/tailwind distance.
1 new Predator. Headwind control driver and control hyzers.
2 TeeBirds. Everything driver. One stable, one kinda beat.
1 Beat Orc. Former main driver is now my headwind roller.
1 Monarch Distance roller, long turnovers.
1 beat XS. Strong tailwind roller, controlled turnovers.
1 Flick exclusively for thumbers since I like keeping my Pred stable.

Midrange:
1 Champion Shark. Stable midrange.
1 Beat Glow Roc Turnover midrange--soon to be replaced by DX Shark.

Putters:
1 soft Wizard--main putter
1 glow Wizard holds a turnover better.

I also want to replace the champion Rhyno that I lost and add an overstable midrange--discraft needs to release an ESP drone : ) I have also been toying with the idea of adding a fairway driver like a TL, Leopard, Impact, or XL. I'd probably still be carrying a Rhyno and XL If I hadn't lost them this summer. Both were ace discs : (

It seems like I'm carrying a lot of different molds, but taking anything out of my bag seems to leave a hole in my repertoire of shots.

What do you guys (and gals) think? What do you throw, and how do you find a balance between keeping it simple and having a disc for every shot?

Views: 1

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

when i drive with midranges OR throw 50% or less of my power with a driver then i use more of a "fan" grip. i hook my index and pinky finger around the rim like a normal power grip but i leave my middle and ring finger out somewhat to keep the control.
joshlotto said:
when i drive with midranges OR throw 50% or less of my power with a driver then i use more of a "fan" grip. i hook my index and pinky finger around the rim like a normal power grip but i leave my middle and ring finger out somewhat to keep the control.

You know, it's funny, back when I started playing, the grip you just described was the only grip I would use. Now when I grip a driver, I curl all 4 fingers under the rim. And when throwing a midrange I stack all 4 fingers. Anything else just feels unnatural. I think that curling my index finger under the the rim and stacking my other 3 fingers might work as a control grip for me (I'm thinking this is the "Climo" grip) but it would take some getting used to.
yea i kinda stack my index and ring finger and the curl my index and pinky under. when i drive with drivers and try to get max distance, i always curl all four.
Drivers:
Boss
Starfire
T-Bird
Roadrunner
Mids:
Storm
Roc
Putter
Ryhno
This is what I would be carrying at a course I didn't know well or a tournament. I bring the whole arsenal to new courses; but at my local course I usually take just the necessities

3 Destroyers; 2 pro 1 star, each pro in a different state of age
2-3 Beasts, 1 star, the other champion, depending on what kind of a course is. If it's a tournament where I have extra space in the bag, I'll bring all 4 beasts and throw some over the water.
1 Roc
2 Putters, 1 star 1 dx aviar
1 Pro wraith, very beat in
1 Dragon for crap-I-don't-want-to-throw-anything good-in-the-water shots
1 Champ Monarch
1 Star Monster, for the shorter drives
1 Champ Panther, short shots with a hard turnover
2 of the 2008 ace race discs.
1 Pro Valk
1 eagle, 150g, for the water shots
1 Champ orc, not sure what it is for
Check Gottagogottathrow.com , they have the ESP FLX Drone (2008 Worlds Stamp) on sale... Love that Disc!!!!

Drivers:
ESP Avenger SS, Chmp. Monarch, Z Flash, X Avenger, 2- Z Surges, ESP Pulse, Z Tracker & ESP Pred.

Mid/ Drivers- Mids:
D Cheetah, D Viper, ESP FLX Drone, DGA Shockwave, 3- Z Wasps, ESP Supercolor Buzzz

Putters:
2- ESP Banger GTs, D Soft Magnet

So it's 20 discs + or - depending on the course and wind... all are the max weights or pretty close...

I find that with my mix of drivers I can handle any shoot off the tee... with the Avenger SS and Monarch I have .5 stable and understable, then from the Flash to the Pred I have anywhere from 1.5 over to 2.5 over... that gives me a wide range of shoots BH and FH...

Mids are my favorite... LOVE the WASP!!! Cheetah is nice and straight... Viper is my Hyzer Mid/ Driver and it's my get outta trouble disc... Drone my Hyzer Mid and the Wasp can do anything!!! Buzzz is for "DEAD NUTS" straight shots...

Putters I try and keep it simple, Banger GTs have 1.0 overstable for in the wind putting and the Magnet is a straight line putter..

I don't think I pull out every disc on any single round but I will try and play through twice and change shots and discs... to practice... I really should take about 5 out but when I remove any one it seems like I will get into a situation when I "wish" I had that one!
star Excalibur
first run star Destroyer x2
champion Destroyer
champion Boss
06 Augusta Wraith
pro Wraith
Wraith-X
first run star Teerex
old school CE Firebird x2
old school CE Teebird
KC pro Valkyrie x2
pro line Monster
03 USDGC 1d1c Roc
champion Classic Roc
Omega SS putter
3 or 4 Star Tee rexs (depends on course)
1 Star Monster (tomahawk nad thumnber)
1 Star Star Wraith (water holes where I dont want to loose a teerex)
2 flat top rocs (180+)
1 Champion roc
1 flex buzz
ohhhh and my famous putter (sometimes 2)
the FLX XL
I believe you have to learn your specific disc and then learn what it can do for you. I throw 95% forehand and am now working on my backhand but know what each of my disc will do for me...well, as long as I throw it properly.
Drivers
5 Flash's
1 FLX Surge
1 ESP Pulse
1 FLX Avenger
X Avenger
X XS
2 Z Buzz
2 pro D Zone (1 new, 1 old)
Dga Rogue
2 Magnets
1 soft magnet
Pro D Rubber rattler
Usually 3 credit cards get me by .....................................Wait ..........................Golf Plastic :)
Mine would be the AARP card, AETNA card, PDGA card, PDGA Officals card, and my Debit Card. ;)
Hey , do you get discounts with your AARP card ?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Blog Posts

Disc Golf Approach Shot Tips by Paul Ulibarri

Posted by Alan Barker on October 30, 2014 at 12:40pm

State of Disc Golf: Disc Golf Growth

Posted by Alan Barker on January 29, 2014 at 2:26pm

What are your favorite Disc Plastics?

Posted by Alan Barker on November 4, 2013 at 1:38pm

2 Tips For Guys To Entice A Girls

Posted by Frederick Cranford on September 11, 2013 at 5:42am

Disc Golf Answerman Episode 6

Posted by CoolDaddySlickBreeze on August 13, 2013 at 4:40pm

Badge

Loading…

© 2014   Created by Terry "the Pirate" Calhoun.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

SF00401968